Menu

W16 engine/gearbox mercedes SLK

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge What Are You Working On? W16 engine/gearbox mercedes SLK

• Creator
    Topic
    JaneJane
    Participant

I’ve been busy designing a W16 turbocharged engine and 4 wheel drive manual transmission etc for my own Mercedes SLK. The new engine is designed to use a W8 set-up when cruising and all cylinders accelerating. The casting and machining will need to be done in Germany by VW who make the successful Bugatti Veron engine. It will take up to a year before I get all the turbochargers, Radiators, inter-cooler, clutch parts, transmission and engine made.
      Why do this?
      Well the 500Bhp was ok. However, the maths say that the car can handle a lot more power. On computer simulations the new engine should push out around 1100Bhp and 910 foot pounds torque and fit in the same space as a supercharged V8 from the Mercedes SLR. The convertible feature of the SLK makes this a project that just has to be done. You could say well why not just buy a Bugatti then? I don’t like the look of the Veron; it’s too butch. What’s it for you say? I love driving on the German autobahn to the south of France. I am tired of Porsche’s coming up from behind flashing their lights trying to pass me.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Kevin CriswellKevin Criswell
      Participant

Well, the only German cars I work on in a regular basis are the old air-cooled Beetles and water boxer Vanagons. Outside of that I am clueless when it comes to German vehicles.

All I can say is that it sounds like fun and good luck.

Oh, and take lots of pictures so we can see your progress.

road2perfectionroad2perfection
        Participant

Don’t supercharge nor turbocharge it if you buy one off the shelf.
          even my 2 Litre i6 320 is pushing 220 newtonmeters of torque in a high mpg format, more cylinders = more torque!

you cannot find off the shelf W16 easy, a W12 is more attainable that is found in a VW Toureg, not too rare in Europe, however, they are as rare as a S14a as I have, I saw 3 this summer of each…

They push about 600 hp at 6 litre

Phaeton, A8L and bentley continental (now just V8 I think).
          They all push around 500 BHP with a upper limit of just 1000 for a 6 litre which is rather bad.

It’s challenges are high output per volume.
          Variable Length runners for intake.

Pro’s,
          Exceptionally small!
          Lightweight.

You could do the Turn off ignition/injection for one bank below a certain “TPS” limit.

Building vs buying and doing electronic management and changes sounds like the best bet, of the W12 engine 😉

JoshJosh
          Participant

My question is WHY..You can squeeze more power out of a V-8 and have about the same fuel economy. Especially if you twin turbo it. The Veyron’s engine is a one of a kind, they used titanium connecting rods with aluminum pistons. It’s pushing 4 turbo’s…As for the convertible I strongly recommend not putting this monster your building of an engine in that. It’s not structurally safe for that. This is just my two cent’s though. Good luck with it!

JaneJane
            Participant

VW Toureg engine doesn’t physically fit in the bay. There maybe some minor flexing of the front bulkhead wall which will need to be strengthened. Other than that the mountings and steering points also need upgrades. The gearbox and rear propshaft tunnel mounting points needing re-enforced too. As for the engine all materials are based on F1 technology including an engine block warmer system. Pistons con-rods and liners are made from Al B Co Ti alloy.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…