Menu

Water not at running temp

• Creator
    Topic
    Mopar1Mopar1
    Participant
    Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      johnzcarzjohnzcarz
      Participant

That

yarddog1950yarddog1950
        Participant

First, there’s the possibility that you have installed the thermostat upsidedown. You wouldn’t do that would you? If you’re not sure, you can check it.
          Next, there’s the common problem of a pocket of air in the cooling system. If the upper radiator hose is warm and not hot, you may have an air pocket beneath the thermostat. There are different procedures for burping air pockets out of different engines. If your engine requires an unusual procedure, it’s probably described in the owners manual under “How to fill the radiator” or some similar title.
          I imagine you are using the temp gauge in the dash for reading temp. They will give different readings depending upon where the temp sensor is located. Typically the conditions you describe mean that the sensor is reading the temp of the air pocket, not the coolant.
          Let’s see if someone adds a note here about a specific procedure for burping a 318 V8. I’ll check for a video that shows how to burp a typical V8.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
          Participant

Here is a great video from Eric regarding how to bleed a cooling system and no, you dont need to use a bleeder valve either.

http://www.youtube.com/user/EricTheCarG … UpXgAJ1gjU

Its sounding like you have air trapped in the system still.

It would be interesting to see actually engine temperature via a scan tool.

Did you use OEM replacement parts?

Mopar1Mopar1
            Participant

[quote]Quoted From johnzcarz:

That

Mopar1Mopar1
              Participant

I will use my scan tool and check the temp,..Hopefully I didnt put the stat upside down…I was thinking the same think, That i had a air bubble..Changed the rad cap this morning to a stant vented cap….Will check temps and repost..Thanks guys

yarddog1950yarddog1950
                Participant

Thanks to Dreamer for finding a video.
                  Here’s another short one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NReU4wqdK5w
                  You probably do not have a bleeder valve. The Chevy V8 PU in this video burps easily because the top of the radiator is well above the engine.
                  I would check an engine like yours a second time the next day and if it still burps, burp it a third time in a day or two.
                  When the engine is cold you should also check your fan clutch for correct operation.

yarddog1950yarddog1950
                  Participant
                    Mopar1Mopar1
                    Participant

Just run my scan tool(actron 9580) and temp stayed right around 175deg….which I am sure that is good…But still not getting heat out of my vents. which now starts another problem…..and its cold outside

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                      Keymaster

You don’t need a bleeder valve to bleed the system those are only there to make filling the system easier, if you follow the steps in the video that was linked you should be able to bleed the air out of the system. Anytime you open a cooling system you need to bleed the air out and if you have a cooling system or heat issue the first step is to bleed the system or check for air in it and then recheck for the symptom.

Mopar1Mopar1
                        Participant

Feel honored now….The man answered my post..thanks ETCG. Looks like i may have vacum trouble some where now, maybe not opening the doors corretly..

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                          Participant

Quoted From Mopar1:

Just run my scan tool(actron 9580) and temp stayed right around 175deg….which I am sure that is good…But still not getting heat out of my vents. which now starts another problem…..and its cold outside

That temperature is too low.

If the vehicle was in closed loop at that temperature, suspect a stuck open thermostat. Usually you may get a P0128 also.

I would bleed the air out of the system and once you get sufficient heat, double check that engine temperature reading.

As for the vacuum issue, are some of your blend doors not functioning correctly? Do you have access to a vacuum diagram and vacuum gage?

Mopar1Mopar1
                            Participant

no vacum tools…on my need to get list though… may drain water tomorrow and refill…..thanks guys

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                              Keymaster

I would shelve the vacuum issue for now and focus on what is going on with the temp itself, if your engine is not coming up to temperature it won’t matter if there’s a malfunction in the HVAC. I strongly recommend bleeding the system and then seeing what you have for starters.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              Loading…