Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • What do you guys think of Grey Pneumatic tools?

What do you guys think of Grey Pneumatic tools?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk What do you guys think of Grey Pneumatic tools?

• Creator
    Topic
    JesseJesse
    Participant

These tools have peaked my interest. As an entry level tech I do not have the money to spring for Snap-On or Mac. I used some GP tools the other day, and they felt much better than Craftsman, Husky, etc tools.

What is your experience with these tools, and how do they hold up?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      James O'HaraJames O’Hara
      Participant

Pros:

Well worth the money as a starting tech to get you to where you need to be. Their sockets are extremely hard to break I would say more so then Snap-On. They also have stuff that Snap-On does not have and since a large majority of the sockets tend to be straight impact style things like triple squares are nearly indestructible.

Cons:

If a socket wears out you cannot get it warrantied out. Depending on the Tool truck guy this might not be the case for their brand. If you put the wobble sockets on a larger size impact then what it is designed for they break. Wobble sockets also are the collar type so they cannot be used in as tight of a place as most Snap-On wobble sockets.

I have heard bad things about the duo-sockets from diesel mechanics but, auto mechanics say they seem to work fine. Us diesel mechanics tend to use heavier impacts more often so this might account for that. I personally though do not know this as fact merely heard it through the grape vine.

If you can get a hold of their wobble impact extsnsions buy all 3 sets they are well worth it just do not use a hand ratchet with them and do not use a larger size impact than what was designed for them. Otherwise they are fantastic. Only down side is they are discontinued. It puts snap-ons wobble extensions to shame.

JBJB
        Participant

I’ve been using a set for a while now and they are holding up good with a lot of abuse. They are in the community box in the shop (did I say abused earlier?). I considered getting the set for my personal box. They are not as thin as some people would like for work on compacts but I think they work just fine. Wright Patt Airforce Base has about 12 sets they use in their auto hobby shop. I know those tools go through a lot of abuse by novice diyers. Theirs have held up well for the last 2 years since they were ordered. Most of the rest of the tools in their shop and crib is Mac.

ClaytonClayton
          Participant

I have the 1/4 and 3/8 flex socket sets . Also I have the deep 1/2 metric set . All used everyday I work and have had no issues so far .

Andrew ButtonAndrew Button
            Participant

generally I prefer tools in red cases. Blue or grey, not unless its Blue point.

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
              Participant

I guarantee you grey pneumatic sockets last longer then Snap-On’s new impacts. Though Snap-On’s once worn out is normally able to be replaced if you are in good with the tool man. Where gp can not. Though i can normally buy 4-5 gp for theprice of Snap-On so….

Participant

You may be right. The GP sockets very well could be stronger, but they are just gray – in blue box.. Instead of a model gal sitting on the hood of red 34 ford with a shiny Snap-on wrench, maybe GP could have some posters, or calenders of somebody regular looking, maybe down and depressed, maybe in a rain storm, dark and gray, and it could say I make my living with Gray Pneumatic tools, if you ask to borrow them I might get sad. Are they not from Canada ? They could have tool trucks that were gray and blue, and the tool guy could be be listening to the cure, wearing black, and might suggest that life is black, but at least the tools he sells are only shades of grey. Imagine that, waiting for the tool truck to come along to replace a socket that self expired only to find out the GP tool truck driver couldn’t take anymore of life either. Good value for what you get in all honesty. I have Snap-on impacts but thats only because I got a free hat with purchase..LOL.

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
                  Participant

I like goths and am one so life being black is ok with me and gray is just white and black mixed. Andrewbutton442 I know you may believe that Snap-On is the be all end all. 10-15yrs ago maybe it was. I live in the present and in the present I see tools that cost too much, brake too often, and a tool man that once again did not show yesterday. If the cost was reasonable, they showed all the time, and did not break I would be all for it.

ClaytonClayton
                    Participant

Agreed MDK22 . I have a couple of sets Grey`s I show no mercy too . So far so good .

JonJon
                      Participant

I’m a DIY looking to buy some quality tools, but I don’t have a lot of money to drop on them. I have a done a lot of work on my 99 Saturn and a 05 Impala and I only come across Metric sizes so far. Do US brands use US sizes anymore? If they don’t then should I just buy a metric set? I do have a complete HF set of sockets currently.

Participant

There were some cars in the 80s that may have had engines/parts that carried over from earlier, say a Foxbody ford or something used both metric and standard on the same vehicle because it may have had an engine designed in the 60s or whatnot, but sometime later, and I don’t know when, everything domestic went metric. For all the old stuff I work on, 50s cars and before, I generally have to use standard tools, although metric stuff for me is useful for Lsx type motors and other things. If you are just working on late model cars like you described, you will only need metric. Just like foreign cars have always been. I much prefer standard size hardware. MM stuff drives me nuts.

Donnie RothDonnie
                          Participant

I love the look, though I haven’t gotten around to buying any yet.

My ’83 GMC has Metric and Standard on it, if that helps. (To those talking about it above)

Participant

Honestly, after watching Eric’s video, they did very look nice. I would scrap that ratchet thought, it looks terrible. My problem, however is they are not Snap-on bringing you endless ridicule from other techs. I had a boss who once threw my tools in the trash because they were not Snap-on, and although hes not alive anymore, he might do that with Grey Pneumatics too for the simple fact, they are not Snap-on. For the price, the GPs are tempting, I have to admit, buying GP stuff is like stealing money from the tool guys who never show up. All kidding aside, they look nice and I might try some out myself actually.

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
                              Participant

[quote=”TrunkShop” post=126080]I’m a DIY looking to buy some quality tools, but I don’t have a lot of money to drop on them. I have a done a lot of work on my 99 Saturn and a 05 Impala and I only come across Metric sizes so far. Do US brands use US sizes anymore? If they don’t then should I just buy a metric set? I do have a complete HF set of sockets currently.[/quote]

Majority of what you will run into will all be metric. It is very rare that you would run into anything else and if you have HF sockets they will prob work until you got most of the other stuff you need. I would recommend having both sae and metric in wrenches though because of fittings and some sensors.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              Loading…