Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • What does this engine noise sound like to you?

What does this engine noise sound like to you?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here What does this engine noise sound like to you?

• Creator
    Topic
    curtie94curtie94
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZFcPoue2hQ

The car is a 1991 Honda Accord with 170,000 miles. I have had my auto teacher listen to it and he said it sounds like valvetrain. I was thinking either exhaust manifold, sticky valves, or fuel injectors. The video makes it sound deeper then it does when you there. What do you think it is?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      FaderFader
      Participant

I am no professional but personally I’m thinking the same as you are: Exhaust Manifold. …… Umm I say this because My 02 Honda civic sounded the same a few weeks back. (Definite ticking there as well) Might be more to your problem.

In my case it was a crack in the manifold and the bottom flange past the Cat was missing…. totally rotted off. Just finished up welding it this past weekend and both the deep sound “exhaust leak sound” and the tick had vanished. Very similar sound… actually almost identical to your’s.

I would start with the exhaust manifold. Take the heat shield off and thoroughly inspect for any cracks… hair line ones. Look for black soot in areas you may not be able to see a crack…. Check that out very well before jumping to a valvetrain.

Hope this helped.

🙂 I’m sure Eric will be of better help!

FaderFader
        Participant

Do you have a CEL on?

curtie94curtie94
          Participant

K thanks I know that I have cracks at the manifold. About a year ago I had the heat shield off and I had hairline cracks now I bet they are huge. When the car is cold the cracks must be wider then when it is hot. Causing it to be quiter when warm. Thanks.

There are no CEL’s. The only stored code is when I disconected the TPS to check somthing out.

BAXMAN68BAXMAN68
            Participant

No if’s, and’s or but’s, that is an exhaust noise. Check your manifolds. If they are too bad, a salvage yard might be the place to go to find a replacement.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
              Keymaster

That sounds like classic 2.2. First make sure you are using the correct oil 5W30 I believe for that engine. If the oil is correct and at the proper level you might want to check the timing belt tension, it gets loose over time and usually about the time you need a timing belt it starts to sound like that so if you’re close to being due for one and you find it loose you might consider just replacing it. If it’s tight then you might consider a valve adjustment, it has a solid valve train that requires periodic adjustment. Here is a nice video for you, good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7wI4EtZSaA

curtie94curtie94
                Participant

Thanks yeah my oil is 5w-30 and it is full, the car does have 170,000 miles and is due at 180,000 so it is close to being due. I will try to check the tension and I’ll get back. Thanks

Curtis

cb7ftwcb7ftw
                  Participant

If you have not already, check your timing. Also, check you engine mounts, but you would hear that more when your driving. Loose muffler can make some strange noises, so check that too. My money is on the exhaust manifold. Our cb7 have 235K miles and still going strong. And it had a ruff life before we got it.
                    If you going to the salvage yard for your exhaust manifold, see if you can bolt on one from 1993 EX. Might get a performance boost. http://www.cb7tuner.com has good info.

curtie94curtie94
                    Participant

Yeah I just checked my timing and it is just less then a degree off so it is fine. I just recently changed the exhaust from the cat back so its not the exhaust. I’ll try to post a pic of the manifold if I can.

SorcererSorcerer
                      Participant

It sounds a bit more ticky and noisey then my 2.2

I would pull the valve cover and do the valve adjustment…

While the cover is off you can inspect the timing belt more easily… Look for hairline cracks in it, and look to see if there is still writing on the smooth side of the belt… If there are cracks or no writing left on the smooth side of the belt she’s probably ready to be replaced… The writing on the belt being gone can also indicate the tensioner pully bearing being cooked…

cheer and good luck! A vehicle well worth throwing a few buck at IMO!!!

FaderFader
                        Participant

Hope to see a pic of it. I still say manifold! T)

curtie94curtie94
                          Participant

Heres the Engine and a zoomed in pic of the manifold crack.

[url=http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x174/curtie94/DSCF1283.jpg:1rm6waov]

curtie94curtie94
                            Participant

Hi I just went out and looked a little but more and I found out that when I remove the vacuum line that goes to the EGR Valve the car runs just like it was, id doesn’t stall like it should. There is also no vacuum to that line, should there be?

Like I said there is no CEL. Could the EGR be clogged. if it is could it cause the car to run like it does.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                              Keymaster

Quoted From curtie94:

Hi I just went out and looked a little but more and I found out that when I remove the vacuum line that goes to the EGR Valve the car runs just like it was, id doesn’t stall like it should. There is also no vacuum to that line, should there be?

Like I said there is no CEL. Could the EGR be clogged. if it is could it cause the car to run like it does.

Not how it works. It should stall or start to run rough if you APPLY vacuum to that line indicating the EGR is functioning properly. If it doesn’t stall then the EGR passages may be clogged. To be honest the EGR will have very little effect on the performance of that engine in fact once all the ports clog you wouldn’t even know you had a failure unless you did an emissions check. Please check the timing as I suggested.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              Loading…