Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • What is the Best Way to Clean Off the Engine

What is the Best Way to Clean Off the Engine

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here What is the Best Way to Clean Off the Engine

• Creator
    Topic
    William PearsonWilliam Pearson
    Participant

I would like to clean off all the oil and dirt on the engine, the transmission and front suspension area on my 2000 Chrysler Voyager 3.3L. What is the best way to do this without messing up any electrical or other components around the engine compartment?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Aaron AbajianAaron Abajian
      Participant

I repair and sell used vehicles. In the past, I would send them to the detailer and they would pressure wash the engine and make it look amazing. I thought this was great until I had to give the cars full tune ups to get them running again. Now, I tell them if they even think of opening the hood, I will not come back to them again! Now I just take a good strong engine degreaser in a spray bottle and lightly apply it to the bad areas, let it sit for a while and wipe it off with a clean rag. Somethimes, when I see an excess of electrical components, I would actually use some plastic cling wrap and cover them before I do this. Degreaser is very toxic. If you decide to use my method, please do so in a well ventilated area and use gloves and some sort of resperator or mask. This takes a bit more time and effort but, not as much time and effort as replacing plugs, wires, coils! Also, when you are finished, take a little ‘tire shine’ and lightly spray everything plastic of rubber. This really makes the engine bay pop! Good luck!

A toyotakarlIts me

+1 to the above… Do it all by hand if you are so inclined…. Too many times things can get messed up due to water being sprayed into the engine bay… Totally not worth what gremlins it can release… And if you start having problems after you have sprayed down engine bay with water and you tell a tech you did this, they will want to slap you….

-Karl

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…