Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • What is this part that fell out of an Accord head?

What is this part that fell out of an Accord head?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here What is this part that fell out of an Accord head?

• Creator
    Topic
    DmitryDmitry
    Participant

So I’m working on this 00 accord SE which was severely overheated (radiator turned into a geyser as you cranked the engine with rad cap off), and after pulling the head and turning it upside down to get the head gasket off this little piece fell out! (it was loose inside the cam area) It kind of looks like a hex bit for a tool…(pics attached) Does anyone know what the heck this is and whether it belongs to the engine or is a left over tool from a previous mechanic???! This is an F23A4 motor.

On the other hand, I feel kind of dumb for pulling the head too soon, without first triple checking the head/block aren’t cracked. Any recommended checks I can do now to ensure the head isn’t blown? There wasn’t any oil in the coolant, just coolant in the cylinders. I was thinking of taping up the water channels on the deck of the head, and then pouring in water to see if it will come out anywhere it shouldn’t.

We live, we learn 😛

Thanks guys!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

Looks like a dial indicator end tip/contact point…

-Karl

DmitryDmitry
        Participant

Thank you! I’m glad its not a loose part from the engine! It didn’t look like anything that should belong in there so I’m glad I asked.

Wish me luck checking the head for major cracks today 🙂

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

I’ve worked on several of those engines and have never seen that part. I think it’s a piece of someones tool and not part of the engine. Not a good sign no matter how you look at it. As for checking for a head gasket issue, I outline that process here.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/what-to-do-when-your-engine-overheats

Good luck and keep us posted.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…