Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • What things do you hate about modern cars?

What things do you hate about modern cars?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion What things do you hate about modern cars?

• Creator
    Topic
    Daniel MillerDaniel Miller
    Participant

This is my first post, and this has been on my chest for a long time, so I wanted to get it out there.
      (edited for more reasons plus what I’ve experienced from other’s replies)

Modern cars tend to have more bells and whistles, better safety, and better gas mileage over much older vehicles, but there are things that seem to break on only modern cars, and here’s my list of things that drive me crazy about modern cars.

The main issue for me is implementing plastic where metal should be, and what could happen if it happens to break on you (listed in no particular order). * by numbers indicate that they broke at least once on my vehicle, a 2012 Ford Fusion S with the 6-speed manual and 58K miles.
      1*. Plastic door handles (attached to metal cables) = cables always win. Broke inside and out once.
      2*. Electronic throttle bodies with plastic gears that open and close the throttle = stress breaks gears and disables vehicle. Poor timing of failure could be a safety hazard.
      3. Plastic intake manifold: crack = “check engine” and poor running, chunk breaks = possible blown engine.
      4. Plastic valve cover: crack = oil loss, possible blown engine if left unchecked
      5. Plastic pulleys on window regulators = windows drop and/or jam due to temperature cycling over time
      6. Plastic latches to close/open center console = will always fail
      7. Plastic oil pan (ex. 2011 Ford 6.7 Diesel) = oil leak if it cracks (possible blown engine if failure occurs while driving and left unchecked)
      8. Plastic electronic water pumps (I’m looking at you, BMW) = overheating
      9. Plastic hose fittings on radiators = cracks, overheating until hose fitting is fixed or radiator replaced
      I would spend a few more bucks on the exact same car with the metal parts instead of plastic. The gas savings from the reduced weight of plastic would not cover repair costs. I know they do plastic because of lower production costs and CAFE.

Other plastics (instead of soft material)
      5. Hard plastic dashboards, especially if black (ex. later Gen 2 Dodge Rams or ’07-13 GM trucks) = cracks
      6. Plastic armrests = reduces driver and passenger comfort (even more so if the front door panels have soft material but the rear door panels don’t)

Other things that drive me crazy about modern cars: (edit starts with rim sizes)
      If you want a manual transmission in a mainstream car you need the most stripped model (for the most part, they’re not even an option on most midsize sedans and full-size trucks, except for the Ram 3500 with the diesel).
      More computers, sensors, and electronic controls = more points of failure.
      Hybrids don’t have a backup generator in case the main generator fails = money saved on fuel gone.
      Are any engines/transmissions introduced in the last 5 years proven to go 300-500K miles or more with just regular maintenance?
      Rim sizes on almost every new car = too big, too heavy, too expensive to replace (and the tires that go on them). 17-inch rims max, and only on truck-based SUVs, Mustangs, Challengers, and Camaros I could tolerate. (note: The 16-inch rims on my Fusion are the largest I’ve ever had on any car)
      They’re harder to see out of = bigger blind spots increase chances of crashes.
      RPM doesn’t immediately drop when you’re trying to upshift.
      Some vehicles have their rev-limiter set far past redline (ex. 7,250 limiter on a 6,500 redline in a 2009 Mazda 3) or produce peak horsepower PAST redline (ex. Dodge Hellcats: 707HP @ 6,000 with a 5,750 redline)

Things that drive me crazy in my Fusion: (part of the edit)
      Engine will not drop to idle RPM, even in neutral, unless going slower than 5 MPH. It will hang between 1,000 and 1,400 RPM, depending on speed and what the ECU thinks how fast the engine should be running.
      I get zero engine braking going down hills unless in the lowest possible gear, and even then, not immediately after I take my foot off the accelerator.
      The engine has a 6,250 redline but sounds like it’s going to blow up if I exceed 5,900.

And one other thing I miss are certain sounds that older vehicles make that the new ones don’t. To me, they’re part of their charm and character.

And my question to you all ETCG faithful: what do you hate about modern cars?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Gary BrownGary
      Participant

Heh I have way to much to say on this but ill keep it simple.

1. Anything Plastic(plastic is junk IMO)

2. Electronics(computers, sensors, unnecessary gadgetry)

3. Lack of a distributor

4. Lack of Manual Transmission options

5. Lack of a carburetor and adjustable idle

6. Too Expensive

7. Too Quiet

8. Too strangled with EPA emissions control junk

9. Lack of style and uniqueness

10. Software(software should not be in cars period)

11. Tin foil beer can bodies

12. No highbeam switch on the floor!

Spike KellermannSpike Kellermann
        Participant

Cars don’t break.. The sensors break.

Gary BrownGary
          Participant

[quote=”NovaKnowledgeNow” post=120059]Cars don’t break.. The sensors break.[/quote] Hence why none of these modern cars will stand the test of time unless they are garage queens. Once enough sensors go, thats it! In 30 years, who will still be producing the sensors and electronics for these modern cars? Most likely noone. You’d have to be a electronics engineer with a knowledge of programming, software compatibility etc etc to keep one of these new “computers on wheels” running.

EDIT: Lets take for example something as simple as a throttle cable, which I(or anyone else) could easily fabricate. Now ETC(electronic throttle control) functions off a network of sensors(APP, TPS, CTS, MAF, MAP etc etc)plus it has a stepper motor which controls the throttle plate. If this stepper goes, you are a sitting duck not to mention it is expensive to replace. In 25-30 years my throttle cable will still be serviceable, we cannot say the same for ETC or anything like it.

MikeMike
            Participant

-CEL (Check Emissions Light): Driver’s are never taught that this light has nothing directly to do with the engine and is therefore endlessly misunderstood even by many mechanics.

-Dual Mass Flywheels: A major point of failure which muddles up the direct drive feeling that a stick shift is supposed to have. It’s also generally done to cater to people who are bad at driving stick while causing frustration for someone who is proficient and wants to utilize the car’s maximum performance.

-RPM hang on stick shift cars: Most modern MT cars (VW/Audi are perfect example) have this obnoxious RPM hang where you either wait an absurd amount of time for the RPM to fall to where it will be in the next gear or use the clutch to pull it down to that RPM. This causes unnecessary synchronizer and clutch wear while inhibiting spirited driving if you pull it down, or completely destroys acceleration performance if you wait it out.

-The look: Painted bumpers, cab-forward design, deep dashboards with shallow windshield angles, excessive amounts of chrome, etc. Shows especially in cars where you can’t see the hood looking out the front, and can’t see trunk lid looking out the back.

-They’re too big: Every generation of a given model gets larger and harder to see out of. Most drivers have no concept of where the vehicle is around them regardless of size. It’s like “if someone cant handle firing a gun properly, lets put a bigger one in their hands”

-No more economy cars: Sure you can buy a new car that is cheap in comparison to others, but the only things cheap to fix anymore keep failing over and over again.

-They’re designed to isolate the driver from the machine and the road: Sound deadening, too many bushings, soft floppy engine mounts, thick glass, and such things promote not only distracted driving, but the attitude that the driver should ignore the machine around them.

-Engine Covers: They are Misleading. Should the driver actually open their hood for some reason, the engine is presented so it looks less complicated than it really is or looks like something that should be left alone. They are also in the way of every mechanic, prevent you from seeing leaks and other problems easily, and wiring under them tends to wear out a lot faster due to holding heat in.

-Modern convenience features: Things that facilitate eating, making phone calls, applying makeup and primping, and so on promote distracted driving. Collision avoidance, Lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, and self parking systems basically tell the driver that it’s ok not to take the act of driving seriously and that they should be able to deal with “more important” tasks while behind the wheel.

The modern motorist: At least here in the US, most drivers feel like it’s they’re right and not they’re privilege to be driving a car. Acquiring a NY Driver’s License does not require that a driver have any understanding of how a car works, have any ability to drive in inclement weather conditions, have any ability of how to lose and regain control of a car, know how to deal with a disabled vehicle, ability to negotiate complicated signage/traffic controls/intersections, or how to conduct yourself on interstates and large traffic arteries.
              Aside from all that, renewal of a NY Driver’s License does not require ANY demonstration of your ability to drive whatsoever. Taking all this into consideration, it’s amazing that they at least bother to verify that you’re not legally blind.
              To top it all off, many of the things cited previously generally encourage the driver to be as ignorant as possible to all things car-related. This causes the myriad of lackadaisical traffic maneuvers seen on public roads, and a high percentage of ignorant auto repair customers who feel that their car (which they usually feel owes them something) shouldn’t need work/financial investment.

John HugonJohn Hugon
              Participant

-Engine Covers: Should the driver actually open their hood for some reason, the engine is presented so it looks less complicated than it really is or looks like something that should be left alone. They are also in the way of every mechanic, prevent you from seeing leaks and other problems easily,

That’s why GM put them on their cars….Seriously

BlackenZaibBlackenZaib
                Participant

What I hate about modern cars is all the gizmos. I hate how cars have all these features that are nothing but driver distractions. Bluetooh, Internet Access, Backup Camera, Parking Assist, etc…

Are we really so lazy we cannot use a Bluetooth headset? Are we that lazy we cannot look behind use to backup? Are we that bad of drivers we need a car to park for us or tell us how to?

EDIT: The make all these BS features for what? For them to fail in a couple years just to pay 100s or 1000s to fix someing u can by aftermarket for a fraction the cost?

Gary BrownGary
                  Participant

[quote=”BlackenZaib” post=120096]What I hate about modern cars is all the gizmos. I hate how cars have all these features that are nothing but driver distractions. Bluetooh, Internet Access, Backup Camera, Parking Assist, etc…

Are we really so lazy we cannot use a Bluetooth headset? Are we that lazy we cannot look behind use to backup? Are we that bad of drivers we need a car to park for us or tell us how to?

EDIT: The make all these BS features for what? For them to fail in a couple years just to pay 100s or 1000s to fix someing u can by aftermarket for a fraction the cost?[/quote] It’s a total joke, my 1974 truck has none of this junk and I get by just fine. Does one actually have to use the phone while they drive? The internet connection is just the icing on the cake…why????! If I want to use the internet I can just go on my phone or a computer. They are exacerbating the problem of distracted driving by adding all these gizmos. IMO anyone who is able bodied should be driving a manual transmission as it makes you focus and a better driver. If people are that bored while they are driving, a manual tranny will keep them occupied.

BlackenZaibBlackenZaib
                    Participant

I don’t Like Manual Trannys I drive 99% of the time in city traffic and a stick would be more annoying than benificial plus sticks dont have more MPGs like the claim anyways atleast not in city streets. And I agree with you Entirely. I even Disabled the Airbags in my vehicles because I don’t need them. I hear and have experienced more bad from airbags than good. Plus if airbags deploy that is a AUTOMATIC total from insurance companies. My cars arent even worth much anyways. If my car gets in a crash its an automatic total anyways. If I get in a wreck I’ll keep the cars and use that money to fix it and that doesn’t need the expense of a windshield or other broken interior parts caused by the airbags.

Is it possible to disable cruise Control and Steering Wheel controls? I’m Sure Cruise Control has a fuse but what about the Steering wheel controls?

ErinErin
                      Participant

Plastic parts where they should be using metal is stupid.

The thing I don’t care for about modern cars – they have very little style and even less enthusiasm in the ads.

Remember when Pontiac said “We build excitement” and you would see a car zooming around?
                        Nowadays it is “Top pick safety rated” or “high MPG” (ALL companies make this claim on every car) or how you can transport all the neighborhood brats to little league.

Look at the colors of cars – dull and boring. Beige, silver, dark green, burgundy, maroon… Just next time you are out driving, look at all the cars and how dull they look.
                        Yeah SOMEtimes you see something fun like bright red, black, white, and sometimes yellow.
                        But most cars look like the color was picked by some middle age person who does contemporary interior home designs.
                        I wonder if anyone gets excited when they go ass deep in debt to buy some beige minivan?

In years passed, they were a little over-optimistic about the dependability and longevity of their cars. I remember in the early 90’s about the time OBDII came out, they were making claims like “100,000 miles between tune-ups”.

BlackenZaibBlackenZaib
                        Participant

I agree completely Summer Night. I miss the old times where cars as late as the mid 90s had metal door handles and bumpers. You get in a wreck the bumper took the blunt of it. Nowadays you wreck the bumpers fall off and the car gets crushed. Door handles inside and out break even the sun visors are cheap-s*** plastic. Hell even the quality of CAR STEREOS have gone down. For example I have a Sony CD Player in my Lanos. It cost me over $250 professional Install included. Today I can get the newer version of the SAME stereo I have now with the only added features are Steering Wheel Control compatibility and RDS Tuner and it only costs $70

Gary BrownGary
                          Participant

[quote=”BlackenZaib” post=120111]I don’t Like Manual Trannys I drive 99% of the time in city traffic and a stick would be more annoying than benificial plus sticks dont have more MPGs like the claim anyways atleast not in city streets. And I agree with you Entirely. I even Disabled the Airbags in my vehicles because I don’t need them. I hear and have experienced more bad from airbags than good. Plus if airbags deploy that is a AUTOMATIC total from insurance companies. My cars arent even worth much anyways. If my car gets in a crash its an automatic total anyways. If I get in a wreck I’ll keep the cars and use that money to fix it and that doesn’t need the expense of a windshield or other broken interior parts caused by the airbags.

Is it possible to disable cruise Control and Steering Wheel controls? I’m Sure Cruise Control has a fuse but what about the Steering wheel controls?[/quote] I find shifting gears in any situation engaging personally yet most of the driving I do is country and highway driving. In most cases the manual car will get better MPG even in city driving. They are also cheaper to rebuild/replace. That aside, I agree on airbags while they do have some benefits, usually they alone end up totaling a vehicle. I don’t understand why you would want to disable cruise(why just not use it rather than pulling the fuse?) and as far as the steering wheel controls are concerned, You could just cut the wires/unplug the connector depending on what vehicle you have. Again, since it’s an on/off type of thing I don’t see the point as you don’t have to use them. ABS I can see pulling the fuse though haha! ABS actually increases the stopping distance vs a traditional brake system.

Ian WilliamsIan Williams
                            Participant

On mine it has no transmission dipstick , I have to check by crawling under and inspect via the nut by the drain plug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary BrownGary
                              Participant

[quote=”Commodore665″ post=120185]On mine it has no transmission dipstick , I have to check by crawling under and inspect via the nut by the drain plug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote] That’s got to be one of my biggest pet peeves on newer cars..lack of a tranny dipstick and sometimes even an engine oil dipstick! Not having a dipstick is fine for a manual tranny due to the fact the oil doesn’t play as big a role(it simply cools and lubricates the gearbox and has little to no potential to leak out in most cases) however for an auto tranny it is a big mistake and just pure idiocy from the engineers/bean counters.

BlackenZaibBlackenZaib
                                Participant

Driving a Stick just seems to be too much of a hassle for me. (I can have more fun with a automatic in winter haha). I do hope to upgrade the stereo in the car and I just plan to buy the stereo with a Kit off eBay which comes with the wiring harness. Sure I wont have dinging or whatnot anymore who cares I also wont have steering wheel controls and will have to get a Amp bypass loop wire. no biggy. Personal experience is also what I’m glad the ABS dont work. Although i do miss the Traction Control.

ErinErin
                                  Participant

One thing that seems silly is how some cars have a rotary shifter or push-button.
                                    I have not driven such a model but it seems like it would be boring.
                                    With the shift lever, push a button, pull the lever back, feel the car want to lurch forward as the RPM seems to drop a touch, overall it is just a good feeling.
                                    The steering column shifters were cheezy enough but a push button would take ALL the fun out of engaging the trans.
                                    With any machine, having some degree of hands-on just gives me more of a feeling of controlling the actions.

Also how some cars have all these menu-driven things are surely not going to go over well with the older generation who are often technophobes.

One other thing that is just icky is those stupid LEDs they put around headlights. Most people do not even know what an LED really is or how it works VS a normal lamp.

My sister was saying how some cars now have some kind of paint that is more eco-friendly. Of course that paint sucks, tends to chip easily.

With the engine covers – if an engine has SOME plastic covering it looks kind of cool but what is the point of having something covering the entire thing? Doesn’t that just hold in too much heat? Plus, doesn’t this new invention called a “hood” hide the engine well enough?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…
                                  situs togel situs togel togel online bo togel situs togel situs togel toto macau agen toto situs togel situs toto bo togel situs togel situs togel resmi situs togel situs toto situs togel situs togel situs togel situs toto