Menu

What to do….what not to do?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG Suggestion Box What to do….what not to do?

• Creator
    Topic
    LukeLuke
    Participant

Hi,

I am not sure if this has been covered before but I thought I would ask.

The question I ask is as a DIY’er, what maintenance on my car should I do and what should be left to the professional? The reason I ask is after watching your Brake Repair Video, I was more than happy to have a go at replacing my pad’s and rotors on my car and my wife’s car. However after talking to the wife about this, she said that while she does think that I am more than capable, she would like this left to a profession who has credentials. I am not mechanically trained (I have a degree in Applied Science of all things!!) but I have done a number of mechanical stuff in my job (I work in a power station) and at home. I would like anyone option on this!! If it has been covered before, could you let me know.

Cheers 🙂

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

Thank you for your suggestion. Thing is, it’s subjective. In my videos I like to encourage those that are willing to try auto repair to do just that. I don’t like to focus on limitations unless there are serious concerns. For the most part, I feel a person working carefully and methodically can do many things when it comes to auto repair. So to your point, it kinda goes against what I try to do with my channel. I like to think of myself as an enabler. In fact, that’s what ‘stay dirty’ is all about. That said, I get your point. Perhaps something like that might work on an ETCG1 video at some point as I get a lot of flack for videos that aren’t repair related that get posted to my ETCG channel. In fact, I have this video that I posted to ETCG1 some time ago.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

LukeLuke
        Participant

Thanks for the reply, I meant to suggest this on ETCG1 but still finding my way on your site! I totally understand what you mean by not making the professional life harder, I think my wife is looking more from an insurance point of view, if I change the brakes and there is a problem, would you think that they would look less favorable if I had done the work vs a trained certified professional? Thanks again for the reply.

StevenSteven
          Participant

Ok…..this is what I thought of upon seeing Eric’s reply.

Dude:
            Hey Eric what do ya think? Should I do this to my car or should I have you do it? Or or, should I start on it and let you finish it for me when I get stuck?

Eric:

*video* “Don’t Make My Life More difficult” LOL!!!

Laughed my a** off as soon as I saw that! As far as the question asked, I’d say go for it dude. Breaks and rotors? Won’t be a bad job for a first timer even.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…