Menu

What to do with the Subaru?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG1 Video Discussions What to do with the Subaru?

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

It is the big question isn’t it? I have a plan B and that’s to just do a straight rebuild on both the engine and transmission, this would be more practical in my eyes but I guess I’m trying to gauge viewer interest in the project. I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      craigw84craigw84
      Participant

Hi Eric, I manage a diesel workshops social media, here in Australia. The workshop also engineers special tooling for diesel engines, particularly they make a device that can detect water in diesel before it enters the engine and warn you. The device came about as water contaminated diesel is a problem in Australia in particular parts of the county, also with the the golf TDI you mentioned they run a more precise fuel system, generally the grade of diesel required is of high calibre. If you get a diesel vehicle to work on I’ll see if I can get you one of these Systems to play with, would make an interesting video.
        Thank Craig

Matthew John RooneyMatthew John Rooney
        Participant

i think its a good idea but u mentioned doing a overhaul on the stock engine that would also be cool. if you were to say do both it would allow for a bulk of interesting videos and after the rebuild is done you could also sell the engine/ trans to try and recoup some of your money losses perhaps on the forsale section of your own website either way i think it will make for some cool videos

Col .Mantras=--=Col.Mantras=-
          Participant

An STI powertrain swap sounds awesome Eric. Get some STI wheels and tires and shoot some cheapo flat black on the car. You won’t get your money back directly, but I’ll bet you’ll get more than a few smiles. 🙂 If I wasn’t 12 hours away I would gladly volunteer some labour on the project.

It’s worth it just to see the wide-eye look of disbelief on the face of some Porsche 911 yuppie owner you just left in your dust.

Cheers

celticbhoycelticbhoy
            Participant

Personally I’d be more interested in watching you rebuild the stock engine. I’ve watched all of Mighty Car Mod’s videos and have lost a lot of interest in the show mainly due to the fact that they seem to focus more and more on engine swaps and dyno tuning nowadays which was entertaining the first time they did it. I’m more interested in the practicality of rebuilding a stock engine, and to be honest, for the amount of money that you’d be investing, I don’t think you’ll see a return. However, in terms of broadening your viewing demographics, it would make you more popular amongst the Australians and Subaru enthusiasts, and i’m sure you’d go into more detail than Mighty Car Mods.

Keymaster

Thank you everyone for your input. I’ve been rolling this around in my head all day and I think I’ve come up with a solution that will be fair to everyone. But before I get to that I’d just like to take a moment to respond to some of the comments that have been made.

On top of the list is the lift. I WILL get a lift at some point but to be honest it really doesn’t bother me that I work on the ground right now. I just love working in my shop, on the ground or on a lift it doesn’t matter. Keep in mind that there was a time where I used to show up at people’s houses and do repairs in their driveways to make extra money so working on the floor of my automotive palace is like a dream come true. In addition something that many seem to forget is that you can’t just bolt a new lift to the floor, you also need to run the electric for it and THAT is an additional expense not to mention I need to make sure I have enough coming into the building to run it (I actually have concerns on this one). Also as far as electricity goes there are some other things the shop needs upgraded in this regard and at least to me it makes sense to address them all at once.

As for a performance rebuild, I’m a practical guy and to ‘hot rod’ the Subaru really doesn’t make any kind of sense to me and I would never consider it if not for the fact that I know it would bring a LOT of views and it may also be a chance to team up with MCM which would also help grow the channel. I LOVE MCM’s channel BTW, if you get the chance see “Turbos and Temples”. More importantly I think by me SHOWING how much money, time, and effort it takes to do something like that properly would benefit the viewers that are interested in doing projects like this. Perhaps by me falling on my sword they will see that they are in for a LOT more than they think they are and perhaps they’ll start thinking with the head on their shoulders instead of the other one. Lastly, what would you do? Think about it, it’s really win win for me because even if I did spend too much money on making my Subaru all it can be with money I’ll never see again I’d still have a kick butt Subaru and some great videos to show for it. As for financing if I got some performance companies on board to ‘donate’ some parts this would really be the best option which is one of the main reasons I made this video.

Now for option B and to be honest I hope this one wins out. I feel this would really satisfy just about everyone and at the end of the day I’d have a very reliable car. It’s really the most practical solution as well and as I said I like this idea the best. It still involves pulling the engine and trans but the bonus is that I’d be tearing them apart instead of just swapping something around. This would create a LIBRARY of videos on the Subaru that would be useful to a much wider audience in the end.

Option C is to do the performance swap, keep the original engine and trans and rebuild those to sell or use in something else.

So this is my thought. It’s Wednesday and on Wednesday’s I meet with my web developer. At tonights meeting I’m going to ask if we can set up a poll on the website where people can vote on what option they’d like to see. We’ll designate a voting period and whichever option gets the most votes that’s the one I’ll go with. I will say that none of this will start till sometime next year, as I said in the video I have some things to work out first but I think this would be a great project to get into next year.

Lastly I still want to do the TDI and I’ll be keeping an eye out for one of those. I have plenty of room in the shop and I’m sure that I can do both, in fact the TDI could be my ‘driver’ until I get the Subaru done. I really want to do some TDI videos not just because I know they will do well but because I’ve never owned a diesel and I think it’s time I tried one out.

Thanks again everyone for your comments and opinions.

JoshJosh
                Participant

Hi Eric, I am a beginner in the auto industry (will be going to school for it come January) I think instead of pulling the engine out, what you could do is do the gearbox/suspension instead. Your Subaru has a lot of weight to it and that’s a major factor when doing any kind of performance upgrade. If you want it to be all its truly capable of…just do a gearbox/suspension upgrade and that car will fly around corners and just about anything. Let that engine rev as fast as it can. I do worry that the engine has a shorter life span due to its age and just the looks of all the rust/corrosion that I have seen from your video’s. An engine rebuild might be in order for it before you do anything to it. That’s my two cents on the matter and what ever you decide I will continue to watch your killer video’s. Thanks to you I have learned a GREAT deal on cars and want to pursue this kind of thing even more then I did before I discovered your videos. I am also in the process of buying my first car early next year…cant wait for it! Anyway Thank you for everything you have done and I will be looking forward to seeing how this comes along.

Till then, Keep dirty 🙂

Keymaster

[quote=”LanEvoX” post=33392]Hi Eric, I am a beginner in the auto industry (will be going to school for it come January) I think instead of pulling the engine out, what you could do is do the gearbox/suspension instead. Your Subaru has a lot of weight to it and that’s a major factor when doing any kind of performance upgrade. If you want it to be all its truly capable of…just do a gearbox/suspension upgrade and that car will fly around corners and just about anything. Let that engine rev as fast as it can. I do worry that the engine has a shorter life span due to its age and just the looks of all the rust/corrosion that I have seen from your video’s. An engine rebuild might be in order for it before you do anything to it. That’s my two cents on the matter and what ever you decide I will continue to watch your killer video’s. Thanks to you I have learned a GREAT deal on cars and want to pursue this kind of thing even more then I did before I discovered your videos. I am also in the process of buying my first car early next year…cant wait for it! Anyway Thank you for everything you have done and I will be looking forward to seeing how this comes along.

Till then, Keep dirty :)[/quote]

That’s actually the plan as I pointed out in the video. I won’t put a performance engine in something till I upgraded the suspension and brakes first. It’s not my first rodeo after all. B)

JoshJosh
                    Participant

[quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=33424][quote=”LanEvoX” post=33392]Hi Eric, I am a beginner in the auto industry (will be going to school for it come January) I think instead of pulling the engine out, what you could do is do the gearbox/suspension instead. Your Subaru has a lot of weight to it and that’s a major factor when doing any kind of performance upgrade. If you want it to be all its truly capable of…just do a gearbox/suspension upgrade and that car will fly around corners and just about anything. Let that engine rev as fast as it can. I do worry that the engine has a shorter life span due to its age and just the looks of all the rust/corrosion that I have seen from your video’s. An engine rebuild might be in order for it before you do anything to it. That’s my two cents on the matter and what ever you decide I will continue to watch your killer video’s. Thanks to you I have learned a GREAT deal on cars and want to pursue this kind of thing even more then I did before I discovered your videos. I am also in the process of buying my first car early next year…cant wait for it! Anyway Thank you for everything you have done and I will be looking forward to seeing how this comes along.

Till then, Keep dirty :)[/quote]

That’s actually the plan as I pointed out in the video. I won’t put a performance engine in something till I upgraded the suspension and brakes first. It’s not my first rodeo after all. B)[/quote] sorry, just new to all of this; was not in any way saying its your first. I have seen all of your video’s on you tube. In fact tomorrow I am upgrading to premium user and going to start buying your video’s. like one a week. I just find performance and cars/engines fascinating. Keep up this awesome work.

ncrdisabledncrdisabled
                      Participant

I worked as a cross the country trucker for Jasper engines . I suggest you contact them . I know the help projects now and them.
                        Even thou I worked for them the would not help me out with with a engine with my stupid chevy venture motor problem .
                        If you can not get a engine I say get a VW and let us learn diesel

celticbhoycelticbhoy
                        Participant

I will add one more thing. I really do hope that if there is some sort of collaboration with MCM that a bunch of their viewers don’t come on here and start saying “MAAAAAAAD” or “Paint your calipers red for extra MAAAAAAAAD JDM AS F#$&!”

TravisTravis
                          Participant

Sti I swap would be MAAAAAAAAD JDM AS F**K YO. Ha ha couldn’t resist. Maybe a local insurance agency will sponsor your show like mcm

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                            Participant

I would leave it stock and then sell it once your Odyssey is fixed.

That way you have more ETCG funds to put into another ETCG vehicle (VW diesel) or even equipment for your shop or show 🙂

TravisTravis
                              Participant

5-6 k for a sub 13 second car is not really to expensive at all, Your going with factory sti parts so it will be reliable and not to bad on fuel, I say sti swap than sell odyssey Cuz a wagon sti is almost as practical anyways.

Edit****. Also in my last awd car build I came to the conclusion to not put really good tires on it, With sticky tires I was busting rear ends and transmissions and it cornered so fast it was down right scary, with a set of all season it was easy to do control slides ” drift” around corners and spin all four tires off the launch. Basically restricting the limits of the car via the tires made it a more fun car to toss around and spinning tires off the line is better than breaking stuff.

celticbhoycelticbhoy
                                Participant

Another typical MCM viewer response.

Keymaster

And we’re back with a response to much of what’s been said.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…