Menu

What’s Next?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG1 Video Discussions What’s Next?

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

Now that the Subaru is gone I’m thinking of what I’m going to get next. What’s your opinion?

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Brandon K.Brandon K.
      Participant

Another option to look at is the old first gen Ford Ranger. There was two diesel engines in the early models.

1982-1985 a Mazda/Perkins 4.135 diesel was an option.
        1985-1988? (I believe the diesel option was axed for the 1989 refresh) – Mitsubishi 4D55 diesel (this same diesel was used in the Dodge D50)
        Of these two the 4D55 is the better option as they came with a turbo.

Most of these diesel Rangers (or Mazda B-Series) with the diesel engine can be had cheap since they are a taboo engine. The MPG on these diesels is 35MPG+.

Perkins for instance makes a large portion of the diesels offered in your landscaping equipment. If you ever see a small inline 3 or 4 diesel with a CAT logo it’s actually just a re-badged Perkins.

Ford Ranger Diesel Info

If the Ranger diesel isn’t your thing get an older F-150 with the 300 Inline-6. They are one of the best engines ever produced by an American car/truck manufacturer. In 1987 Ford switched to EFI on the 300 Inline-6, so if you wanted to go the carburetor route anything pre-1987 is an option.

liamliam
        Participant

excellent choice on the V70 D5 volvo fast and convey.used by the police in the UK because they reliable banana: 🙂

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

Lots of folks with lots of suggestions. What will I do……?

DavidDavid
            Participant

[quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=79464]Lots of folks with lots of suggestions. What will I do……?[/quote]

Ultimate challenge? Find a Colorado/Canyon/Isuzuthing in your price range and do an industrial diesel engine swap… banana:

KasraKasra
              Participant

Diesel sounds great. HOWEVER, what I think is much more important is something that is “different” and a bit complicated/unknown. This may sound odd but hear me out. What I learn from Eric, is not how to repair a honda, or gm or ford etc. What is learn is how to “repair” and when it is more complicated and things go wrong, the more I learn. I own Honda’s and they are lovely to repair but as Eric pointed out German cars can be tricky and sometimes I need to scratch my head. I also own a BMW and Eric’s complicated videos helped me when I need to repair it. It can be complicated because it is a different lay out like the Subaru or maybe complicated because it is super rusty and every bolt will break. Or maybe new and complicated for example like a rotary engine. Whatever it is. I feel it should be a learning experience and maybe diesel would make that happen.

Brett GilliamBrett Gilliam
                Participant

I agree ETCG. I’m confident you would have even more viewers if you did your future videos on something other than Honda and Acura, not that you don’t already have a ton of viewers. I’m sure most of your viewers though are owners of Honda and Acura because you have most of your videos on those makes, or Asian makes. Going with a Volvo would be a good choice because it would bring a whole new group of viewers or subscribers to ETCG. I own a Volvo XC90, first Volvo ever, and I’ve noticed over the years that Volvo has a large and loyal following. I’m currently on a lot of the Volvo forums and they consistently have lots of people on those sites. Also, Volvo owners tend to keep their cars for a long time, passing them down within the family. They’re safe cars, not bad to work on, different than Asian makes (Honda & Acura) and they have several diesel models as well.

Just wanted to share with you my thoughts for whatever it’s worth. As always, thank you for sharing all your wonderful knowledge. I truly enjoy all your videos.

Brett
                  Dallas, TX

CaddeCadde
                  Participant

I was just thinking about all the diesels you could get but it just occurred to me, why not a Volvo 740 Diesel? They are boxes on wheels and they are simple and easy to work on. So you get sort of like a pickup vehicle (because the space in the back is rather big) and you get a diesel that will last. Of course you can pick later models too but you said you didn’t want any electronics.

Best part is they should be dirt cheap despite being in perfect working order.

cbridencbriden
                    Participant

How about a resto on a fox body mustang with the 5L motor. There are many of these available with gobs of performance parts. Everybody loves good old fashioned american muscle.

TysonTyson
                      Participant

I too like the idea of some jeep videos. I used to own a ’88 wrangler that was carbureted. I believe ’88 or’89 was the last year that these vehicles were carbureted but correct me if I’m wrong.

A .J.A.J.
                        Participant

Hi Eric I watched your video on what is next and you touched on what I think is very good idea when you talked about the new and the old.
                          You have a way of explaining things that gets the point across that I could never achieve but on to my point I think people are afraid of newer cars because of a computer is controlling things and they thing they cant be adjusted and they tend to think of the over all system unlike on older cars they would just deal with the offending system.
                          In a way I think, they think because the computer gave them a P0XXX code that it must be that component but experience will tell you that the problem is very likely something upstream of the suspect component.

Just my thoughts.
                          A.J.

Nathan JohnstonNathan Johnston
                          Participant

Eric, how about an old Chevy Army Truck or Blazer. They have a diesel. it’s a non turbo diesel so they don’t run as strong as a Cummins, or Duramax. I believe the model is a T1009 for the truck and T1008 for the Blazer. I’ve seen them for sale on Craigslist for around 5k. This vehicle would be interesting because it is all mechanical and it would give you an opportunity to break down all the basic parts of a 4 cycle diesel engine on a simple platform. in my opinion there are enough Jeep builds out there.

Attachments:
                            Scott FeitScott Feit
                            Participant

A Scout II would be amazing. Carbureted and classic.

Ramon TorresRamon Torres
                              Participant

Eric you should do more ABS repairs

college mancollege man

Anything from 1955- 1972 american muscle. 👿

Petr MiskerikPetr Miskerik
                                  Participant

buy some alfa !
                                    there we can repair very long time… 😆 / i just kidding .
                                    and with JTD // JTDm engines is a very good choice !
                                    These engines are really strong, reliable and fuel efficient.
                                    I have 5 cylinder and for a diesel – it has a GREAT sound,
                                    check the link guys.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…