Menu

What’s the point ?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The Body Shop What’s the point ?

• Creator
    Topic
    drthrift035drthrift035
    Participant

Why waste the time to prep and paint a particular body part ? Just replace the entire part with the factory color on it. Please let me know what you think. Now there are places that will paint the part the color that you want. Please let me know what you think.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Flemming JacobsenFlemming Jacobsen
      Participant

Because sometimes replacing a complete part is like fishing with dynamite. If the panel has a minor ding, scratch etc its is usually more affordable to sand the scratch down, or use filler to level it out with the rest of the panel and then base it and paint it to the cars colour opposed to forking up and arm and a leg for a full panel painted to match

drthrift035drthrift035
        Participant

Good point. Thanks for the insight.

cb7ftwcb7ftw
          Participant

It is hard to order fade. Often, if you just order a part, and put it on, it will stick out. The color will be off from the rest of the car.

Jeff M.Jeff M.
            Participant

Awhile back a friend of mine hit a mailbox with her gmc acadia,2012 also. That freaking fender was $450 bucks from the dealership!! It has a softball sized dent in it and scuffed the paint I told her to lightly rub the scuff to see if it would peel up easily,it did! I then said go to Advance and buy this and this $10 worth and buff the scuff out,now granted it didn’t take care of the dent but I did find her one “if she decided to replace it for $210 and it was aftermarket,now yes she would’ve probably spent $300-400 on that one panel to replace and paint,but she also could’ve paid someone to do the paintless procedure and it would’ve cost significantly less. Maybe $100-150 tops,maybe less.

gregjacobsongregjacobson
              Participant

i am not from the collision side of body work .. i come from a restoration point of view , most of the panels just are not available so you have no choice but fix . also unless you can buy the OEM part , MOST parts are not even close to the quality ( 90% of the aftermarket )and often times Labor can be far more intensive to change a part than fix ( think truck box side or car quarter panel ). just my opinion , interesting question , would love to hear other peoples opinion on this .

TimTim
                Participant

Always best to color blend and then clear complete panels. Butt matches stink most the time. Blended is splendid as Jack says….Hope this helped

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…