Menu

When should you eat it?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG1 Video Discussions When should you eat it?

• Creator
    Topic
    EarlEarl
    Participant

I think if you have a good customer than eating labor is okay because if they are repeat customers it’ll keep them coming back. In situations where you quote a price and then find out that something will cause the job to be a considerable amount larger than asking for more money to complete the repair shouldn’t be a bad thing.I think it comes down to getting the repair done right the first time. In my experience most people don’t mind paying more for a repair as long as the repair fixes the original problem.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

Almost forgot to post this sorry!

Gecko ^^Gecko^
        Participant

I heard you mention bringing your customer in to the shop. I always see signs on auto shops that say you’re not allowed in the shop area. I suppose this is for insurance reasons but I’ve never really asked. I’ve been in the shop area many times and it seemed to be okay with the techs that were working on my car.

This applies to more than just the auto industry too of course. It’s happened to me many times during the course of PC repair.

BTW, signing up for the account here, the password fields showed plaintext instead of asterisks or bullets or whatever.

DaveDave
          Participant

Insurance companies seem to want shops to put up signs. That said, many will take you out on the shop floor. Though it gives them a great excuse to prevent people from entering the shop who are annoying.

I just had a discussion with the site admin about the password boxes, to make a short story even shorter the admin prefers it that way.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

I briefly touched on that in the video as I realize that some shops don’t allow customers in the work area. It’s a liability thing like most things I suppose but it’s funny how some shops don’t care and others do. I find that it’s usually the ‘chain’ shops that have these policies, not sure why that is but the corporate world seems to be more legal conscious that most.

DaveDave
              Participant

The corporate world has more lawyers which pretty much explains everything. And I guess if you have one shop your chances of having an issue are smaller than if you have 50.

stingray66stingray66
                Participant

THIS is WHY I went in to working on as a fleet mechanic .You just don’t run in to that type of problem

W00DBar0nW00DBar0n
                  Participant

[quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=36195]I briefly touched on that in the video as I realize that some shops don’t allow customers in the work area. It’s a liability thing like most things I suppose but it’s funny how some shops don’t care and others do. I find that it’s usually the ‘chain’ shops that have these policies, not sure why that is but the corporate world seems to be more legal conscious that most.[/quote]
                    Liability is the main reason.
                    If you look at the shop i work in, only way on the floor is wearing PPE (Gloves, safety glasses, high vis, steel toe boots, ear plugs, and hard hat). It’s basically a blanket policy to cover the company’s ass saying “we at least tried to keep the person safe while in the shop” The next thing about my shop is if a customer wants to see the “truck” we are working on they would need to have a safety origination, wear PPE and be issued a lock-out lock before being allowed onto the shop floor.
                    What fun.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…