• Topic
  • When to invest and when to buy cheap

When to invest and when to buy cheap

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk When to invest and when to buy cheap

• Creator
    Topic
    GabeGabe
    Participant

As I start to do things myself my biggest obstacle is not having the proper tools. Starting a tool collection is the beginning of a very rewarding yet expensive investment. I am a firm believer in the saying “You get what you pay for” I know Eric and many people stand by the some-what obvious fact that good tools make a world of difference with the harder jobs. Having said that, I don’t want to have to empty my bank out for tools that to be honest I’m not sure how often I’ll use. So here is my question, to pros and DIY alike.

What is your thought process when you decide to buy the top brand product -or- the inexpensive brand?
      How did you start your tool collection? Whether it be hand downs or part of business, what mistakes did you make and what tips do you have for general tool buying?

When ever I see shops or personal tool collections I can’t help but wonder what they are glad they bought and what they wish they hadn’t (If it’s not in the trash already)

Feel free to share anything about your tool buying decision process.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Gary BrownGary
      Participant

[quote=”97nissanpickup” post=122029]As I start to do things myself my biggest obstacle is not having the proper tools. Starting a tool collection is the beginning of a very rewarding yet expensive investment. I am a firm believer in the saying “You get what you pay for” I know Eric and many people stand by the some-what obvious fact that good tools make a world of difference with the harder jobs. Having said that, I don’t want to have to empty my bank out for tools that to be honest I’m not sure how often I’ll use. So here is my question, to pros and DIY alike.

What is your thought process when you decide to buy the top brand product -or- the inexpensive brand?
        How did you start your tool collection? Whether it be hand downs or part of business, what mistakes did you make and what tips do you have for general tool buying?

When ever I see shops or personal tool collections I can’t help but wonder what they are glad they bought and what they wish they hadn’t (If it’s not in the trash already)

Feel free to share anything about your tool buying decision process.[/quote] Unless in a pinch, I would never buy anything from a place like harbor freight or wallies. My main hnnd tools are good ol’ craftsman that are made in the USA and have served me for many years so far in the profession. My precision tools(torque wrenches, micrometer etc etc) are snap-on and then I have some of my dad’s old tools(timing light, old school coolant tester, compression gauge, etc etc). It all comes down to what type of tool it is for me. Craftsman(as long as they are made in the USA) make great professional hand tools, I use snap on stuff for precision tools and De-Walt for power tools.

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
        Participant

If you are a DIY guy Craftsman tools that are made in the USA will work okay. If you can get a hold of the 1950-1970s craftsman tools you will find them to be better then 99% of the stuff today including snap-on. If you actually want a run down you are in luck because I have started writing what is turning into a book of info for new guys and DIY guys haven’t published much of it yet though. Stay away from craftsman combination wrenches and chrome sockets though they like to make bolts round. Eric has a bunch of tool reviews I would start there. There is also this youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa8H6C6yH3e8twF5RpdFgyg

My Advice on Tools

Buy the tool to fit your needs and probable future uses. If it is not a tool that requires precision then it does not require that expensive brand name. Tools that you loose all the time buy the cheapest version that works. Tools that break all the time require a good brand and one that is easily replaced/warranted. Tools that you use all the time and break all the time regardless of quality keep 2 of and also assess if a better tool is available. When it comes to tools that need to just work look into industrial brands as well as the tool truck brands. Also check out reviews online, advice from forums, and what mechanics have/use in your shop to do the job.

A simple example of these rules is a magnetic tray from Harbor Freight does the same thing as one from Snap-On and the only difference is about $15 dollars and that is just because the one says Snap-On, it is slightly better quality, and has a warranty. They are also easily lost or run over and $2-4 dollars is a lot cheaper then $15 and a warranty won’t help you if you loose it. This also goes for magnetic pick up tools while having a good/decent brand like Craftsman is good for stronger versions the one you keep in your pocket should be a cheap one such as pepboys or once again Harbor Freight. An example of tools that break all the time are wobble extensions and turbo sockets. These are things that are needed a lot of the time and having a backup of your most used one is recommended to get you till when the tool truck shows up next and/or you can warranty it out.

asetoftoolsasetoftools
          Participant

I’ve had the same $39 jobmate socket set for 15 years and 5 cars. Purchased at canadian tire as it was the cheapest socket set available.

Ok i did replace both ratchets, and some sockets, and there are some additional fittings i squeezed into the same case, but practically the same cheapo socket set!

The point is, for DIY, working on a few cars a year, buy cheap tools! If it doesn’t work out, then hey craigslist a better brand name one. But never buy retail, there are so many crazy markups. Tools are regularly discounted by 50% or more so you cant trust the price in the store. Pawn shops and thrift stores occasionally yield a gem. I like older tools, that have survived a while. Then you know its good quality.

And above all, get the RIGHT tool! The one thing I learned in DIY is always always spend the money to get the precise tool you need for the job at hand. Don’t try and mickey mouse like say, bashing your ratchet with a hammer. Invest in the breaker bar!
            things like that. Right tool for the right job.

KennethKenneth
            Participant

I try to buy good tools, when getting something that I know I’ll use a lot. If I’m buying something I know, won’t see that much action I’ll look at saving money. Places like harbor freight, can have the kind of quality you need, but you have to check each item, some of it is crap.
              There are tool forums, where you can find all the info you could ever want, about tool comparison. The forum Garage Journal, comes to mind. With something like ten thousand members, from all over the world. Someone will be able to answer any tool question you can think of.

GabeGabe
              Participant

Yeah, I guess its half common sense half research. I live near Home Depot so I have been buying a lot of Husky because the price isn’t bad and the lifetime guarantee, despite people telling me they break every Husky tool they touch. I got a 25 piece 3/8 socket set and the 14mm had a chip at the bottom of the socket that didn’t allow you to put it on the ratchet. Exchanged it for a new set and haven’t had any problems.

What do you guys think about Husky?

Gary BrownGary
                Participant

[quote=”97nissanpickup” post=122363]Yeah, I guess its half common sense half research. I live near Home Depot so I have been buying a lot of Husky because the price isn’t bad and the lifetime guarantee, despite people telling me they break every Husky tool they touch. I got a 25 piece 3/8 socket set and the 14mm had a chip at the bottom of the socket that didn’t allow you to put it on the ratchet. Exchanged it for a new set and haven’t had any problems.

What do you guys think about Husky?[/quote] Husky is alright, I just wouldn’t use it for anything I depend on daily.

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
                  Participant

Husky is about the same quality as the non-usa craftsman. It will work for starting out but, it is also easy to break it. if you start to round bolts or nuts get a diff set. 12-point are a bad idea and so is spline drive you can round things very easily with them if they are tight.

If you shop at home depot here are some brand suggestions (My opinion):
                    Mayhew driving end Prybars – they are better then snap-on and craftsman prof driving end are same with a slightly better handle.
                    Channel Lock – Needle Nose, Tongue and Groove
                    Knipex – Diagonal Side Cutters
                    Plumb or Estwing – Hammers I suggest wood handle. 3lb Ballpeen or Blacksmith
                    Crescent – Adjustable wrenches
                    Snap-ring pliers – Wilde

AndrewAndrew
                    Participant

Generally speaking I’m a stickler for quality in everything I buy. I don’t like having cheap crap break when I need it and then have to go out and buy another one. This goes for tools, parts, and just about everything else.
                      I learned this when i was adjusting the valves on my girlfriend’s civic, and even with the spark plugs out I managed to break the ratchet. To be fair it came in a cheapo $10 set with some sockets. Tools that I’ll need every time I work on a car I go for quality, preferably made in USA craftsman or similar. If it’s a tool I’ll use once in a while I’ll still go ahead and get a quality piece. If it’s something that I need for a specific job and will likely never need again and can’t rent, I’ll get a cheap one. I got a cheap air hammer and chisel to kill some riveted in ball joints. That was over a year ago and I’ve used it once since then to bust some more rivets.

Gary BrownGary
                      Participant

A Chinese made tool is almost always of lesser quality..even if it’s an American brand. Even Snap-On cheaps out on some things particularly the Blue Point line which are made in Taiwan alot of the time.

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
                        Participant

Simply put if the better brand is 10 dollars more buy the better brand. The aggravation it will save you will be well worth the money unless its something stupid like a magnetic tray. If you are a DIY guy buying something that costs a whole lot is prob not a good idea unless you plan on doing a ground up build/rebuild. Husky should work for doing the basics to a few cars a couple times a year. Aka doing brake pad changes, rotating tires, changing filters, oil changes and minor maintenance fixes. Anything past that though its not going to work really well. Also I would not trust the sockets on anything super tight you are likely to round it even with a 6 point. My craftsman do that from time to time with the impacts and the chrome are even worse. Do not get me wrong Craftsman used to be awesome but, its going down hill along with all the tool manufacturers.

Also for those that don’t know here are a list of brands and their affiliates:

Gary BrownGary
                          Participant

[quote=”MDK22″ post=122402]Simply put if the better brand is 10 dollars more buy the better brand. The aggravation it will save you will be well worth the money unless its something stupid like a magnetic tray. If you are a DIY guy buying something that costs a whole lot is prob not a good idea unless you plan on doing a ground up build/rebuild. Husky should work for doing the basics to a few cars a couple times a year. Aka doing brake pad changes, rotating tires, changing filters, oil changes and minor maintenance fixes. Anything past that though its not going to work really well. Also I would not trust the sockets on anything super tight you are likely to round it even with a 6 point. My craftsman do that from time to time with the impacts and the chrome are even worse. Do not get me wrong Craftsman used to be awesome but, its going down hill along with all the tool manufacturers.[/quote] You get what you pay for and you reap what you sow. So many people have been complacent with buying the cheapest Chinese made stuff that the manufacturers are all doin it now. The stuff has gotten cheaper and cheaper just like the materials cars are made with. Anythin to save a buck…it’s sad really.

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
                            Participant

There should be a law against it with basic hand tools cause it is very easy to get hurt especially when you do it as a profession. I have bought professional tools that broke 15 mins after buying them without misusing them. I am starting to have to buy industrial grade just so it won’t hurt me.

Gary BrownGary
                              Participant

[quote=”MDK22″ post=122405]There should be a law against it with basic hand tools cause it is very easy to get hurt especially when you do it as a profession. I have bought professional tools that broke 15 mins after buying them without misusing them. I am starting to have to buy industrial grade just so it won’t hurt me.[/quote] Better yet there should be a trade embargo agaisnt china. Sure prices would be higher at first but they would settle down. Really, I could walk into my local Sears a decade ago and get a well made tool for a good price. Now, the only option is the Craftsman Professional line which has prices on par with Snap-On. The tools with the “in between” prices have gone the way of the dodo.

adam savageadam savage
                                Participant

I haven’t used chrome sockets in years. I have all GP impact sockets, 12, 6 point, swivels, extensions, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, 1 inch drive. I swear by Grey Pneumatic sockets. And the MAC tool truck in my area sells and warranties them. Never had to warranty one yet. You simply cannot beat them. I took all my chrome stuff home to make more room in my socket drawer. For example….a 3/4 drive 2 3/4 inch impact socket….Snap on wanted around 400 bucks. For one socket! picked up a GP off amazon for 100 bucks. Been going strong for 4 years

Andrew ButtonAndrew Button
                                  Participant

My thoughts similar to Eric’s.. buy the best tools you can. Snap-on, Mac and Matco hand tools are cheap enough that anybody can buy them. Limited use heavier duty stuff is in my opinion better off rented or bought used or something. Example. A dual 80 3/8 Snap-on ratchet isn’t very expensive in the long run. Something like impact sockets, on the other hand, are a different story. HF may cost 50 or 100, but the Snap-ons might be 800 for the same thing. When the average tech may need 6 or 8 sets, the numbers just don’t add up. All depends. For Screwdrivers, wrenches and stuff, there is no substitute for the big three, but other things like a ball joint press or spring compressor, makes no difference to me when I work. I recently bought an entire collection of Snap-on stuff, a bunch of things including I wouldn’t normally buy, but there is was a set of allen wrenches in the collection that look like something from a Kmart vending machine; cheap, cheap plastic holder, just bad. My 25 year old craftsmans set of the same style are way better, so there is something to be said for the age and vintage of the tools. The ergonomics on the small metal Snap-on tools are second to none, however. The latest runs of Snap-on screwdrivers with the countoured handles make any other screwdrivers look sad. My two cents worth on that.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…