Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Where do you enjoy working and why ?

Where do you enjoy working and why ?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only Where do you enjoy working and why ?

• Creator
    Topic
    THERMALTHERMAL
    Participant

With too many complaints of working withs dealerships ; I would like to known which shops are good to work for ? What is your experience ?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

My best experience was the first job I ever had as a technician at a small independent shop in Pittsburgh PA. The owner was cool, we had plenty of work and a good reputation with the customers. The only drawback was that there was only one tool truck that showed up and that was Matco. This made it difficult after I moved on as most other places didn’t even have a Matco truck show up.

You can make more money at a dealer and get better training. Thing is there are usually a lot of politics that you need to deal with. There are good dealers however but it might take some time to find one.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
        Participant

Im enjoying working at a independent shop myself. Still everyday has its rough and stress points.

Eliud MunozEliud Munoz
          Participant

Well I’m going to work in a dealership (only started on lube rack) and so far it was all right but now I have started my traning and am about to go to start working as a tech. Hope it is fun I will post back when I start working again. 😛

Tom SharplesTom Sharples
            Participant

I started out at an independent shop and enjoyed it but options were limited. I did my apprenticeship at a Subaru dealer, warranty times were great but management not so much! Moved to toyota and love it, great product and great guys to work with. You get ruthless techs who will stab you in your back to bill more hours but that’s life. Toyota is a great manufacturer to work for, training is awesome and new tech developed all the time, they don’t really play catch up with other manufacturers tech.

THERMALTHERMAL
              Participant

I used to hear stories of how good it is to work for dealerships. But my experience ( florida ) has been bad. The more i have looked around and ask where is good to work the more it it looking depressing.
                The first job was working for a well known heavy duty equipement dealership. They provided very little resoures to complete the job. Tools & equipement asked for was always pushed away into the next year. No not this year i meant next year. It was a constant exhausting race to complete most jobs. Formal training was provided only after i was able to train myself by reading manuals. Overtime was not paid when worked ( instead work hours was traded ). The supervior was disrespectful ( fix the F@#$king truck). Often the customer was called early to collect when the job was not completed. Imagine installing a cylinder head with the customer sitting in the cab with his hand on the key waiting to start the engine as the last connection is made. Stessfull situation. I left.
                Asking around it seems all shops in florida are like this.
                I heard of truck tech who got a job at a car dealership. The first week working he got a work order to replace a clutch & flywheel. Thinking of all he had to do replace the clutch. He thought to himself his pay is going to be good. Looking at his pay check, his jaw dropped, pure disappointment. Immediately he wheeled his tool box out the dealer.

THERMALTHERMAL
                Participant

Still searching.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…