Menu

Which Shop Press Should I Buy?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk Which Shop Press Should I Buy?

• Creator
    Topic
    Matthew RossMatthew Ross
    Participant

Hey guys,

I’m looking to buy a shop press, but I’m not sure what size to get. I will primarily use it to press in wheel bearings on FWD cars. Is 12 tons enough? Should I go for 20? I’m not a professional, but I do a ton of work and will use the press for many jobs.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Matt

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      James O'HaraJames O’Hara
      Participant

Um, it really depends on what you are looking to spend. For something like that the only brand I really know is OTC and a 16.5 ton is like $850+ $2XX shipping and the 25 ton is like $2,XXX+ This is something you are definitely going to have to do some heavy googling to try and find info or a forum dedicated to press’ because in all honesty buying cheap with those kind of pressures can get you killed and depending on what your garage walls are made of possibly family members or your dog.injured.

If you are getting that serious that you need a shop press you really need to ask yourself is it worth the money to have one over just buying the part to replace what you are trying to press out. With all of that being said generally speaking if it doesn’t come out with 20 tons unless you can not get it any more it is not worth messing with.

If you do get one remember you need to anchor this thing to the floor/bench regardless of how heavy it is. You also need to get a proper accessory set such as this OTC Accessory Set for 25-Ton Capacity Presses I would also suggest OTC Step Plate Adapter Set Obviously get the kits made for your shop press if they have to thread in or have a certain size alignment pin.

Scott OsborneScott Osborne
        Participant

I’ve had a 12 ton Harbor freight press for years. I’ve pressed countless bearings with it….Is it great? Nope. But it works and it’s pretty cheap. I

If your just pressing hub bearings look into an OTC hub grappler

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…