Menu

Why do exhaust manifolds crack?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Why do exhaust manifolds crack?

• Creator
    Topic
    cb7ftwcb7ftw
    Participant

Don’t know if it matters, but my reference point is a 99 Civic DX.

Why do exhaust manifolds crack?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

A+ on above post. it also has to do with the casting of the part. vibration is another factor. C8-)

GrayfoxGrayfox
        Participant

+2 on first post and lets not forget it is in the front on most cars so cool air from the radiator also is cooling it down causing it to go through more heat cycles

dreamer2355dreamer2355
          Participant

It depends on the quality of material used plus the heat cycles of the metal will start to fatigue it over time. You also have to think about oxidation due to the elements and engine running conditions. All these can contribute to cracks in the exhaust manifold.

TheAreteTheArete
            Participant

+3 on the Above posts. I agree with all of the above but lets not forget the most pertinent part of the exhaust deterioration… mythical unicorns in the exhaust system. Happens to us all sooner or later, how else do we describe the rapid accelerate

johnzcarzjohnzcarz
              Participant

Along the same lines, has anyone had success fixing small cracks in a manifold by brazing?

outdoorsman310outdoorsman310
                Participant

I have not brazed a manifold, but i have brazed a patch on a muffler with good success. it would probably be difficult to braze cast

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                  Keymaster

It’s partly a casting issue but also a materials issue. Most manifolds are cast iron which is very good at dealing with heat but by nature it’s porous meaning that there are always imperfections in a casting due to the fact that the exhaust manifold has to go from ambient temp (which could be below freezing) to sometimes as hot as 1200

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…