Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Why does Ford say I need new nuts for the top of the catalyst? (2.0L Zetec)

Why does Ford say I need new nuts for the top of the catalyst? (2.0L Zetec)

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Why does Ford say I need new nuts for the top of the catalyst? (2.0L Zetec)

• Creator
    Topic
    Gareth RandallGareth Randall
    Participant

I’ve just replaced the timing belt on my 2002 Ford Escape 2.0L, which involves removing the cat. Now it’s reassembly time and the FSM says that the three M10 mounting nuts that hold the top of the cat to the exhaust collector should be discarded and replaced with new.

Anyone know why? They’re meaty all-metal flange nuts (not nylocs) and they look fine.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Dave TidmanDave Tidman
      Participant

Is it possible they are torque to yield?

Gareth RandallGareth Randall
        Participant

Are TTY nuts a thing? I thought you only got that in bolts.

TBH, I’d rather not pay $6 per nut from the dealership. Any reason why I couldn’t use generic hardware store nuts at $6 for a bag of 100?

Dave TidmanDave Tidman
          Participant

Sorry, I read nuts and thought bolts. I would think any generic nut would work as long as it threads on the bolt/stud correctly. If they are easy to access, I’d probably reuse the old ones and if you then find a reason for new ones (like the old ones fall off), you can install them.

MathieuMathieu
            Participant

Provide to Ford stainless steel M10 nuts. You better to replace a not to rusty nut then a real good rusty nut. A red rusty nut have no functional thread and you can’t remove It even with penetrating oil. You need to use the torch near the engine block. It’s better to prevent then cure.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…