Menu

Widening Interior Space

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The Body Shop Widening Interior Space

• Creator
    Topic
    Quinn WoodQuinn Wood
    Participant

I have a 2009 Chevy Impala. I’d like to open up the interior space on the passenger side a bit more so I can have full trunk width and height from the trunk to the front firewall. To do this I’d need to cut away metal from the rear parcel shelf / passthrough opening from trunk to backseat. I’d also have to reduce the front dash where the passenger airbag and glovebox are currently. This is now a single seat vehicle for driver only.

What can I do to ensure I maintain and/or replace structural qualities of the vehicle when removing metal like this from a unibody? I do own drilling, cutting, and welding equipment and have a decent amount of cash to put toward the car project as a whole. (Oher things are going on. Feel free to ask if you want to know about the rest of the project too.)

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MikeMike
      Participant

In my opinion, I don’t think it’s a good idea to be cutting metal and brackets out of a unibody. Your insurance company probably doesn’t think so either.

Perhaps you should be looking at a van, either intermediate or full size. They’re storage containers on wheels.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…