Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • will not start after 15 min. run time

will not start after 15 min. run time

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here will not start after 15 min. run time

• Creator
    Topic
    clay rutledgeclay rutledge
    Participant

this is driving me nutz… I just put a motor in a 96 honda accord and it ran great….until.. the customer took it down the road and filled it up with gas guess what it will not start.Well after it cooled off we fire it up and bring it back to the shop and after the motor warms up it will not start or is very hard to start.. also has a noticable missfire.No code (no check engine light). and it runs great when cold… i have heard everything from cracked distributor to clogged injectors.. well all looks fine on that…. could it possibly be the main relay????? I need help… any help would be greatly appreciated

thank you.. shadetree 1

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      William McClurgWilliam McClurg
      Participant

Did you check your fuel lines? Vapor lock maybe?

Participant

everything seems to be fine… no leaks and when i crack the line there seems to be pressure… my guage will not fit the honda and been thinking of a modify to make it happin…. im thinking fuel too the plugs look great absolutly no discoloration at all

Participant

i have heard rumers of a check valve on the fuel system?????

William McClurgWilliam McClurg
            Participant

God, I can’t believe I’m trying to give an answer on an automotive forum when I’m such a mechanically ignorant fool!!! You have been warned!

My understanding is there is a Schrader valve on the fuel rail close to the #1 cylinder. I have used this in the past to release pressure on the fuel system to change the fuel filter. I think this is the fitting they use to check fuel pressure or to introduce fuel injector cleaner. I don’t know if that is a check valve or not. In fact, there is very little under the hood that I KNOW.

All that said, I would think your car would throw some lean bank codes for fuel starvation if it was a vapor lock, but the symptoms are remarkably similar to a friend’s mustang that I helped fix a vapor lock on. Bear in mind that this was a 1988 mustang, and some retard decided that fuel lines and exhaust pipes were like peas in a pod… Again, in case I was not clear earlier, I am a complete mechanical retard, and any advice that you take from me is completely at your own risk!!!

CharlesCharles
              Participant

Make sure the engine temperature sensor is the correct one for the computer. You should be able to unplug the sensor wire and the car will run (as if cold) to test. I’m not a Honda guy but have seen this on other vehicles.

college mancollege man

when you put the engine in.did you put a timing light on it
                  to check mechanical timing?

Participant

well just a quick update on this…. after several.. how i say miss diagnosis.. seems the motor i put in has a blown head gasket… never seen 1 act like that , but after motor got hot and antifreeze hit the cylender she started fouling a plug..after the plug fould.. then all kinda bad things started happining… found it with a vaccum guage so dont never underestimate the old school tools… also notced a mix starting to occur and the brand new oil was getting milky……. i would of never dreamed this…. also there was no code showing on the computer… hope that aint bad too

college mancollege man

thanks for the sad update.Guess the head has to come off. 🙁

Participant

started tearing it down today….. sad thing is i have to eat most of this.. the junkyard i got the motor from is 100 miles away be cheaper for me to suk it up and fix it..

Participant

the customer always come first at my shop…. thats why they come back….just never seen a head gasket act like this… wierd.. all i can say

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                          Keymaster

I’ve been there myself a time or 2 with junk yard engines. That said I did suspect a mechanical issue based on your description. (I hope that doesn’t sound cocky) but I’ve run into stuff like that in the past. Glad you got it diagnosed. Keep us posted on your progress.

Participant

well took the head off… and guess what #3 cylender had a hairline crack in it…. the headgasket was fine.Well all is not lost had an engine that broke timing belt and replaced the bottem end and put the good head on… nothing lost but the cost of gaskets and a lil sleep…

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                              Keymaster

Thanks for the update. To be honest that engine is not known for head gasket issues. What I DO find is that the cooling system never gets bled out properly and the trapped air creates a ‘hot spot’ that can crack a block. In short, I mostly see people do stupid stuff that causes problems with that engine. For the most part if it’s kept in oil it will last just about forever.

Glad you got your sorted out. Sucks you had to go through all that but experience is a great teacher in this business. Thanks for the updates and for using the ETCG forum.

Participant

well after a week or so running time i called the cutomer and the honda is purring like a kitten… but still looking for an engine for the dodge.. but i am sure i will find 1

college mancollege man

Glad that one problem is solved. 🙂

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…