Menu

window tint glue

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion window tint glue

• Creator
    Topic
    woodywoody
    Participant

:S cant seem to find anything that will remove the glue from my rear window without messing up the defroster,tint has already been removed, any help appreciated

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      PaulPaul
      Participant

Have you tried any of the following?

Ammonia or Windex with Ammonium D.
        All purpose cleaner, like Formula 409 or Simple Green.
        Citrus-based solvent, like Goo Gone or Goof Off.
        Hot water and dish soap.

woodywoody
        Participant

yes , I have tried goof off, acetone,dish soap, cider vinegar,vegetable oil,brake cleaner,mineral spirits, at my wits end, guess I will have to use a razor blade and lose my rear window defroster, wonder how much to just replace the glass?!

PaulPaul
          Participant

[quote=”woodyco” post=112509]wonder how much to just replace the glass?![/quote]

I know that feeling – the nuclear option.

I’m surprised that Goof Off didn’t work. It’s worked for every adhesive that I’ve needed to remove, although it sometimes takes upwards of an hour to penetrate and dissolve the adhesive.

And, the organic solvents in the spirits and the methylene chloride in the brake cleaner didn’t work.

Alcohols are also good at removing adhesives. In my experience, isopropanol is not always a subsitute for ethanol or methanol. I would try rubbing alcohol (aka isopropyl alcohol aka isopropanol) or ethanol (aka ethyl alcohol) and some elbow grease first. Denatured is fine.

Methanol is another alcohol that dissolves many things, but it’s dangerous – toxic and flammable. I would treat it as a last-ditch effort. Make sure that you have great ventilation, wear gloves (nitrile is fine), and cover the rear deck with an old towel.

woodywoody
            Participant

at this point still putting up with it, defroster doesnt seem to be working any way, haven’t checked it out yet, thanks for the ideas, i will let it soak a while and see if that helps

MikeMike
              Participant

Sorry I’m so late on this, but this is your stuff. NAPA carries it if you don’t want to mail order it:

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
                Participant

I bought a used car. The rear window had a tint. Guess where the salesman put the in transit sticker? When I pulled the sticker off, along with it came the tint.

I used Goo Gone and a ton of elbow grease – about two full days worth of work. The defroster still worked when I was done.

IngvarIngvar
                  Participant

Old thread but just in case.
                    Portable steamer removes tint and glue like a charm. Same goes for stickers of all kinds.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…