Menu

windshield removal 1985 Ram50

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here windshield removal 1985 Ram50

• Creator
    Topic
    Chris passiveaggressivemuch?Chris
    Participant

I have a 1985 Ram 50 with a windshield held in by gasket not epoxy. How does one change it? I saw the great Kiss Auto glass vid and it helps with lots of useful info but it doesn’t really apply. I can’t find any vids or even a description of how to online. So I’m both asking how and I am asking Eric if he might see about doing a vid on something so old????
      It got real wet on the passenger side floor last winter which indicates a common failure point of these gaskets failing somehow & allowing water in. It is a practically rust free truck and I want to keep it that way especially since I replaced the heater and its now nicer to drive in winter :).

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MikeMike
      Participant

If you are replacing the existing windshield with a new one, there’s no shame in destroying the old windshield to remove it.

If you’re going to reuse the windshield and are replacing the moulded rubber gasket only, a lot more care must be taken. Basically, you have to “roll” the gasket off its sheet metal flange and push it out of the opening. There are plastic lever tools for coaxing the rubber seal, and you basically start in one spot and work your way around, preferably working from inside the vehicle and pushing the gasket to the outside.

If you’re familiar with manually mounting/demounting motorcycle or bicycle tires on rims using tire levers, the process is very similar. Otherwise, I hope this video gives a clearer idea. It isn’t hard, but having six hands would help.

https://youtu.be/T4Wh9I_rYUw[video]https://youtu.be/T4Wh9I_rYUw[/video]

Participant

Thank you. I’m still leery, I would like to see a windshield with gasket installed. :). I have been told by guys who own these on another site that its fairly easy to break the windshield. if you try to remove them without cutting the rubber. I am going to do the rear glass per the video in the credits of this one Steele Rubber install with cord. I think they also have my front gasket so I might cut the front window out if I think I can install it. After seeing that rear window vid the $175 price to install a gasket I supply just seems crazy.

GaryGary
          Participant

These things are a pain. The best way to remove the windshield without breakage is to cut the rubber out and even then you might crack it pushing it out. Normally those leak because the rubber has gone hard and brittle or you have rust under the rubber. To install a new gasket you have to use the old rope/string method. Do some googling its a 2 man job at least. Install the gasket around the windshield, run a piece of string/rope in the slot that fits into the window opening, hold the window in place against the opening and pull the string to roll the gasket lip over the metal. Its hard to explain google for vid and don’t be shy with lube.

MikeMike
            Participant

If you find a bit of surface rust under the rubber seal, it’s going to require sanding, priming and painting before the new seal is installed. If the rust is severe, it’ll require metal fab, welding and grinding as well. This isn’t a job for Bondo.

Have you tried using clear silicone around the outside edge of the gasket? Not the best of repairs and is only temporary at best, but you might get a couple of years out of it. It could save you a lot of work and frustration. There is “high flow” silicone available, which would have a better chance of wicking up and under the rubber gasket, providing a better seal. And if you are careful about applying it, it won’t look too bad, at least from a few feet away.

James P GrossoJames P Grosso
              Participant

Can’t help with the glass.
                Any photos of the truck? I had a 1984 Ram 50 4×4 Prospector 2.6L with 5-speed. It was a great truck.

Participant

I am aware Evil-i. I don’t expect any as the truck was dry and rust free in all the places these things rust when I bought it. I sprung a leak last year which spread across the floor fooling me into thinking it was the cowl. After I was told these gaskets give out I looked over both front and back and the back had pulled away right in the area it was wet inside. I think the leak is actually in the rear seal I am just being thorough and doing the front as it is original as well. I want to do it myself but I will pay if I can’t get instructions.
                  I am going to sand and clean with spirits then paint with Rustoleum Auto Primer to ensure the metal stays rust free. I’m pretty sure the glass guy isn’t going to care as much as I will especially since it is so old.

Participant

Just to update. I managed to replace the rear window myself with the rope method shown in the video right after the one linked. I got myself a suction cup tool with two cups and a handle between for $12 at sears online. It held the glass fine. The only trouble I has was in using the gasket I followed advice to soap up the glass slot. Well I almost broke the glass w few times. I finally gave up cleaned off the soap, let it sit in the sun for 20 minutes and it went right on.
                    The rope went into the slot just fine and it only took me a minute to figure out that I shouldn’t start with the lip over the edge of the pinch weld it was supposed to hang on. I just held it with some pressure in the exact position it was meant to be in then pulled the rope which lifted the lip up and over the pinch weld. There was no problem at all.
                    I ended up doing a lot of other work and now winter weather has come. I have the front seal from Steele Rubber. Now I only need a good bid for the work.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…