Menu

Worst Subaru Timing Belt Video

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum Worst Subaru Timing Belt Video

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

I’ll be posting both part 1 and 2 of this video to this thread. I think this type of video shows promise, but I’m going to have to work on some issues with the cameras. What are your thoughts?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

Actually, I like the way this video is done… Mistakes and all… Shows people a real look at how things go…. Other than the camera blackout, it is great…

Also, I like the way the voice over goes…. It seems you can still accomplish a good repair video without all the time of setting the camera, moving it and editing the footage…

Oh by the way, Gear wrenches made after 2010 or so are made in the PRC (Peoples Republic of China (not California)… The ones made before 2010 were mostly made in Taiwan and the quality of those from Taiwan are MUCH better… I believe also the Craftsman versions and Gearwrenches sold in Sears were made in Taiwan…. It does make a difference. Now I am fairly certain they all are made in China πŸ™

-Karl

Rudy WilmothRudy Wilmoth
        Participant

πŸ™‚ I did like the video, Eric , it was a great perspective from that angle. I did get a little queasy when you made some sudden turning of your head from side to side. You will get better with the Go Pro as you use it more. The people who are complaining about using the starter to remove the crank bolt have never worked on an engine. You do what works and that method works, I have used it on Miata engines also, another vehicle with a lack of working space for an impact. I also liked your voiceover narrative, it made the job more interesting. It is getting harder to find good tools, even with name brands. I hope Chinese cars never make it to this country, they may make people long for the dependability of the Yugo again. :silly:

Steve WebbSteve Webb
          Participant

Sadly I had to turn it off… that sent my eyes a tad funny πŸ™

obviously aware youre trying new things and that’s great… I, personally, hope you don’t use this for all your vids cos of a.) the queasiness and b.) I prefer the detail you get when you get up close to the engine.

this isn’t criticising… just noting that for me I much prefer the way you done them before. πŸ™‚

Nikolai PozdniakovNikolai
            Participant

Go pro audio fix. Makes camera splash proof but not water proof. Still protected from drops, bumps and kids.

Attachments:
              CaddeCadde
              Participant

How is this the worst? This is one of the best videos i have seen from you. I only wish it was real time (no voice over, or minimal voice over) and of course that no video was dropped.

I would look for a smaller camera for these occasions though, looks a bit bulky.

Please make more of these, even if they are just the same as this one. (But try and sound a bit more energetic in your voice overs, it felt like a lullaby πŸ™‚ )

EDIT: Oh, a headset (microphone at the side of your mouth) would probably help a lot with the audio. I know the Gopro is supposed to be water tight. But i am talking about alternative and smaller cameras anyways. With an audio input jack.

Kevin CriswellKevin Criswell
                Participant

[quote=”ToyotaKarl” post=82129]Actually, I like the way this video is done… Mistakes and all… Shows people a real look at how things go…. Other than the camera blackout, it is great…

Also, I like the way the voice over goes…. It seems you can still accomplish a good repair video without all the time of setting the camera, moving it and editing the footage…

Oh by the way, Gear wrenches made after 2010 or so are made in the PRC (Peoples Republic of China (not California)… The ones made before 2010 were mostly made in Taiwan and the quality of those from Taiwan are MUCH better… I believe also the Craftsman versions and Gearwrenches sold in Sears were made in Taiwan…. It does make a difference. Now I am fairly certain they all are made in China πŸ™

-Karl[/quote]

Hey Karl, the Pittsburgh Pro line (Harbor Freight) is now made in Taiwan, their “gearwrenchs” are made there also, I have been shocked at the quality of the tools.

RereonehundredRereonehundred
                  Participant

I’d vote for the traditional camera use which has evolved nicely.

But I’m more interested in the timing belt being off a tooth. This seems to be a relatively common problem. I’ve know several instances.

I’ve probably valve timed a dozen or more engines and felt obligated to get it right by checking and rechecking.

Why is this so frequently done wrongly? Do-it-your-self lack of knowledge or pros moving too quickly. What the opinion?

Make sure you take us for a test drive to see if she runs better.

Hey Eric.

Greetings from Denmark! First of all thankyou for a lot of excellent videos. I Think all of your videos are very helpful, and i enjoy watching them! However i have to say that the thing with the camera on your head doesnt work. It makes me “seasick” and i hope you do not proceed this Way. What normally characterizes you is your professional use of a camera, so i am looking forward to hopefully more “oldschool” videos in the future πŸ™‚

The voiceover Was excellent though….

Merry christmas

RereonehundredRereonehundred
                    Participant

Good idea to wish every one Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas from me too.

Keymaster

[quote=”ToyotaKarl” post=82129]Actually, I like the way this video is done… Mistakes and all… Shows people a real look at how things go…. Other than the camera blackout, it is great…

-Karl[/quote]

Thanks for the input. This video was a learning experience. I hope to take what I’ve learned and work it into future videos.

Honestly, I’m becoming less and less fond of my new gear wrenches. They just don’t work consistently. Perhaps as a result of poor construction or cheap materials. Either way, it’s sand to see a good idea go to waste like that.

Keymaster

[quote=”Webby the Bear” post=82133]Sadly I had to turn it off… that sent my eyes a tad funny πŸ™

obviously aware youre trying new things and that’s great… I, personally, hope you don’t use this for all your vids cos of a.) the queasiness and b.) I prefer the detail you get when you get up close to the engine.

this isn’t criticising… just noting that for me I much prefer the way you done them before. :)[/quote]

Noted. Thanks for your input. Given the limitations of the GoPro, I don’t think I’ll be using them in the same way in the future. In other words, less POV to keep you from getting motion sickness. I don’t want to ditch the idea altogether however.

Keymaster

[quote=”Nikolai1024″ post=82136]Go pro audio fix. Makes camera splash proof but not water proof. Still protected from drops, bumps and kids.

[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion but honestly, I don’t think I’ll be using the GoPro to record sound. Given the environment I use my cameras in, I’m thinking I’ll keep them as ‘water proof’ as possible. Besides, I have other means to record sound with.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Keymaster

[quote=”Cadde” post=82141]How is this the worst? This is one of the best videos i have seen from you. I only wish it was real time (no voice over, or minimal voice over) and of course that no video was dropped.

I would look for a smaller camera for these occasions though, looks a bit bulky.

Please make more of these, even if they are just the same as this one. (But try and sound a bit more energetic in your voice overs, it felt like a lullaby πŸ™‚ )

EDIT: Oh, a headset (microphone at the side of your mouth) would probably help a lot with the audio. I know the Gopro is supposed to be water tight. But i am talking about alternative and smaller cameras anyways. With an audio input jack.[/quote]

I was pretty tired the day I recorded the VO. I’ll work on being more enthusiastic in the future. I also don’t plan to make an entire video using POV like this. I think it would work better in smaller doses as you suggest.

Thanks for the input.

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
                              Participant

I thought the video was great. It was amazing to see how fast you work with two hands free (sadly, I am very slow in comparison). If you had said, “Now, moving on after the radiator is out.”, I’d have thought you skipped that on purpose. Lifting a radiator is no great skill.

Also having seen other head mounted camera video, yours was way more stable. On the other hand, where people are under the car and you get all sorts of weird angle shots, well, I like those too. It is what it is really like when working on a creeper.

BrianBrian
                                Participant

Eric, love your videos, but +1 on the seasickness on this one.

Merry Christmas! Brian

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Loading…