Menu

You know what makes me mad?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion You know what makes me mad?

• Creator
    Topic
    jacobnbr1jacobnbr1
    Participant

It is when I tell a guy to do something based on manufacturer procedure and he thinks he can short cut around not what I said but what the manufacturer of the vehicle advised to do.
      Listen up!
      If you get an older veteran mechanic that tells you a procedure to follow is usually because he was once there and knows there isn’t a shorter way except for guessing and assumptions of which will get you burned, make a profitable job not so profitable,cause more troubles and aggravation for everyone in the shop.

Perform the flow sheet as outlined and gather the evidence and make a conclusion based on the evidence that has been provided by the manufacturer of the vehicle.
      You might actually guess and get it right a couple times but guessing and assumptions is only going to drive customers away, render the community consensus that the shop by name does not know what they are doing, and cause the owner of the shop to give up.

In this particular case was an 07 ford f150 with a 5.4 that had a complaint of ‘lacks power and bogs on acceleration’ the customer thinks the fuel pump is bad.
      The conclusion of the technician is the fuel pump has failed based on fuel pressure specifications alone being less than what the manual states.
      This vehicle is a return-less fuel system that only supplies fuel as needed based on data input pids of sensors provided to the pcm for management.
      What else could go wrong?
      Example..
      One of the sensors has malfunctioned and the lack of fuel pressure is a direct result of pcm command because the pcm has received faulty information and has reduced the rpm count of the pump.
      A voltage drop exists at the pump driver and there is only 9 volts provided to the pump circuit instead of 12.6-13.8.
      There is a 26 step process that must be utilized before a conclusion can be met and the only thing that can shorten the process is if you find a problem on step three and that corrects the problem.

The real slap in the face is when you have all the high tech bi-directional scan tools to aid the process and plenty of resource information database systems where information and procedure can be found but the guy is too lazy to use it and takes a guess at what is wrong.

Viewing 16 replies (of 16 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      619DioFan619DioFan
      Participant

It truly is a shame when you possess a large volume of knowledge and someone who could truly benefit from it seems unwilling to listen. I work in the moving and storage industry ( cars are mostly just a hobby ) and after 30 years I can tell you there aren’t too many things I haven’t moved/loaded into some type of truck. can’t tell you how many young guys ( im 50 so most of the guys are young to me ) have come along thinking they know it all and don’t want to listen. then after they destroy someones expensive item we not only look stupid to the customer we end up buying them a new item. btw- after all the years I still don’t claim to know everything about my industry.. always willing to learn a new ,better way. all my ” car knowledge ” was gathered over the years by hanging out with older guys who knew way more then me and learning from them as well as from a friend of mine who is an ase master tech with over 30 years in the industry foreign and domestic ( and even he will tell you he isnt an ” expert ” ) the reason I dig this forum so much is I learn something new every day.

Viewing 16 replies (of 16 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…