Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Sentra Ball Joint & Wheel Bearing Replacement

Sentra Ball Joint & Wheel Bearing Replacement

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum Sentra Ball Joint & Wheel Bearing Replacement

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

This is really the first in the Nissan FiF series. We have a ways to go from here, but this puts us on the path to getting this Nissan back in peak condition.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      RereonehundredRereonehundred
      Participant

Never had a brake slave piston seize up having owned lots of cars since 1976.

Why would it seize?

Torn boot seal or really acidic and old brake fluid?

Jeff ColdJeff Cold
        Participant

I loved this video. Way better than Netflix. So funny, that stuff happens to me all the time. Back to the parts store again. You get into a repair and find out there’s one more repair you hadn’t planned on–oh and the wife needs her car back in an hour. Not going to happen. She takes your truck and you have to beg a neighbor to take you back to the parts store. LOL!

Keymaster

[quote=”Rereonehundred” post=157389]Never had a brake slave piston seize up having owned lots of cars since 1976.

Why would it seize?

Torn boot seal or really acidic and old brake fluid?[/quote]

I actually cover the problem in this video.

Keymaster

[quote=”coldje” post=157393]I loved this video. Way better than Netflix. So funny, that stuff happens to me all the time. Back to the parts store again. You get into a repair and find out there’s one more repair you hadn’t planned on–oh and the wife needs her car back in an hour. Not going to happen. She takes your truck and you have to beg a neighbor to take you back to the parts store. LOL![/quote]

Yea, it can be frustrating. Honestly, most repairs don’t turn out the way you plan in my experience. That’s why I’m happy to have an arsenal of tools when that happens. It doesn’t always help, but when it does, it’s awesome.

Jack PatteeuwJack Patteeuw
              Participant

You are catching a lot of flack on other forums about welding in that ball joint.

I hope you reconsider and install a whole lower control arm.

Keymaster

[quote=”theoldwizard1″ post=157550]You are catching a lot of flack on other forums about welding in that ball joint.

I hope you reconsider and install a whole lower control arm.[/quote]

Well if they have any balls, they’ll come here and make comments, that’s what this form is for after all. Otherwise the keyboard cowards can go ask mommy for a cheese sandwich.

The car has been gone almost 3 months and hasn’t had any issues. I stand by my repair. You can also see several comments to the video that agree with what I did as well.

There is no reconsidering. If it breaks, I’ll get a new lower control arm, but I don’t believe it will come to that.

You also need to realize that I’m not just doing repairs. I’m also making videos. That takes things to a whole new level. It means that when the parts you need are 2 days out, your cameraman is going to get paid for the day no matter what, you do what you can to get things done. It’s real easy to sit back and look at my videos and say, “I should have done this, or I should have done that.” It’s quite another thing to actually do what I do. Ask anyone who does it.

Lastly, I think the fingers should be pointed at Moog for making the SECOND Moog part I’ve used in a video that didn’t work out. Do you realize how much time was wasted that day trying to figure out what the issue was? If nothing else, I hope the people that watch the video avoid buying that part and wasting their time. If you are running a repair business, the last thing you need is issues with parts like I had with that ball joint. Time is money after all.

Even if you were a DIY trying to do the job, you’d still be hosed because you couldn’t get your car back together, which could possibly mean not getting to work the next day.

In summary, Moog put out a bad part, I did the best I could in the situation. I stand by my repair and the decision I made under the circumstances I was in.

ChrisChris
                  Participant

If the car passed an alignment and your only alternative was a new LCA, I’d have done the same!

Spot on about your comments if you were diy’ing the repair and found the part was wrong. Infuriating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ourkid2000ourkid2000
                    Participant

I wonder if MOOG makes oversize parts for this very problem? It must have come up before.

I remember reading something about MOOG Problem Solver series or something along those lines. Not that I have much knowledge in this area.

Keymaster

[quote=”ourkid2000″ post=157598]I wonder if MOOG makes oversize parts for this very problem? It must have come up before.

I remember reading something about MOOG Problem Solver series or something along those lines. Not that I have much knowledge in this area.[/quote]

Problem solver just means it comes with a new castelated nut and cotter pin. It’s just a name, as you could see in the video it didn’t solve any problems, it created more of them.

I don’t have a very good opinion of Moog parts after my recent experiences with them. More cheap Chinese crap in a pretty box.

ourkid2000ourkid2000
                        Participant

So something must be up here…..I wonder what’s going on?

If they’re all that size, than that means that every replacement MOOG ball joint for Sentras simply does not fit. Even up here in Canada I still see loads of those Sentras going around. MOOG is popular here as well and somehow I doubt that everyone out there is welding them to make them fit. Is it just that Eric got a dud?

Keymaster

[quote=”ourkid2000″ post=157676]So something must be up here…..I wonder what’s going on?

If they’re all that size, than that means that every replacement MOOG ball joint for Sentras simply does not fit. Even up here in Canada I still see loads of those Sentras going around. MOOG is popular here as well and somehow I doubt that everyone out there is welding them to make them fit. Is it just that Eric got a dud?[/quote]

I checked around, remember I said in the video I went to the parts store several times? The Moog part listings were all the same. I’m not saying everyone is welding them, they’re likely replacing the LCA with the Dorman LCA’s. Thing is, I couldn’t get one of those for 2 days. That’s why I went for the weld.

Shadowdog500Shadowdog500
                            Participant

I’m not sure if the Moog part was the problem, I strongly suspect the control arm was the culprit.
                              The cheap aftermarket control arms that they sell for this car have a larger diameter balljoint in them. I found several threads online where others ran into this same exact problem when trying to put a new balljoint into an aftermarket control arm for this specific car after the balljoint in the aftermarket control arm gave up in a year. I bet that car had aftermarket lower control arms in it, and that the Moog balljoints were the proper size for a factory control arm.

Chris

Jason WhiteJason White
                              Participant

Eric, good video. Ball joint replacement is becoming a old-timer repair, because they don’t fail as much and if they do, the whole control arm is replaced. I work at a Nissan dealer and we never have done just a ball joint, instead the whole control arm because those bushings are notorious for going bad.

On another note, on the grappler; how much time is saved with that versus using a press?

Keymaster

[quote=”Shadowdog500″ post=157842]I’m not sure if the Moog part was the problem, I strongly suspect the control arm was the culprit.
                                  The cheap aftermarket control arms that they sell for this car have a larger diameter balljoint in them. I found several threads online where others ran into this same exact problem when trying to put a new balljoint into an aftermarket control arm for this specific car after the balljoint in the aftermarket control arm gave up in a year. I bet that car had aftermarket lower control arms in it, and that the Moog balljoints were the proper size for a factory control arm.

Chris[/quote]

Those were the original control arms, NOT aftermarket. It was clear to me they had been on since the car was new. This wasn’t the first time I had an issue with a Moog part. Remember the Toyota wheel bearing?

Keymaster

[quote=”Jasonw1178″ post=157856]Eric, good video. Ball joint replacement is becoming a old-timer repair, because they don’t fail as much and if they do, the whole control arm is replaced. I work at a Nissan dealer and we never have done just a ball joint, instead the whole control arm because those bushings are notorious for going bad.

On another note, on the grappler; how much time is saved with that versus using a press?[/quote]

When I worked at the dealer we would have done the same thing. Not because the bushings go bad, but because that’s how the part is sold through Nissan. They don’t even sell the ball joint separately. Inspection of the bushings on the control arms did not reveal any issues with this vehicle.

Considering I didn’t have to remove the hub to press out and press in the new bearing, it saved a considerable amount of time. Not to mention the time it would have taken to slide hammer out the hub.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…