Menu

Sentra Ball Joint & Wheel Bearing Replacement

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum Sentra Ball Joint & Wheel Bearing Replacement

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

This is really the first in the Nissan FiF series. We have a ways to go from here, but this puts us on the path to getting this Nissan back in peak condition.

Viewing 7 replies - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Keymaster

[quote=”Jasonw1178″ post=161271]Eric, I’ve read some of the flack you are getting. I know that ball joint isn’t going anywere. You know it. Even the one’s giving you flack know it as well. We have all done things a bit off the record to get things done. They do have one valid point, and that has to do with doing this as a professional. It’s okay with your own car, maybe a buddy’s, even someone you are doing it as a favor, but if there is a papertrail and money involved, I wouldn’t do it. Simple reason is because it’s not the book way of doing things and you are opening yourself up to liability if anything were to happen. Lawyers can make molehills into mountains. Say they have an accident, and even though it’s their own fault, they claim something went wrong with the car, trying to cover their butt, and they have a smart lawyer, the lawyer will have that car inspected with a fine tooth comb. Even though your repair didn’t break, or cause the wreck, the lawyer will say the car was not serviced properly and will want you at least partially responsible. Just having to defend youreself in court can be very costly.[/quote]

I hear you, but this really doesn’t hold water since I’m not a repair facility and I took no money for the repair. I believe it would fall under the same thing as someone doing him a favor. If you don’t pay for it, there really is no legal recourse as no liability is assumed.

Honestly, I’m done with this issue. As you pointed out, the joint isn’t going anywhere. If it does, I’ll own up to it and fix it. If you counter that if it does fail, it could cause the driver to loose control, I’m working on getting Jerry back into the shop to inspect it for any signs of damage. I’ll also likely replace the control arm and show the results of what I did in a video. I hope that puts things to rest. The ONLY reason I’m doing that is for the donors to FIF. I don’t want them to think that I’m not making the best use of their donations. I really don’t care what people think about my welds because they’ve held just fine this entire time. So, until It does go somewhere, I have no interest in hearing any more about the supposed ‘bad work’ that I did.

At this point all I see is a bunch of people trying to be ‘right’ about this to make me ‘wrong’. I don’t think they give a lick about the safety concerns or anything else. They just use it as gas to throw on the fire that’s burning me at the stake. The vehicle has been on the road like this for over 3 months without issue. You can’t argue with results.

Shaun FlichelShaun Flichel
        Participant

Eric, you did a fine job with what you had presented to you. Some people by nature go out of their way to put others down. It’s a disease of some sort. Just keep doing what your doing and who cares about them.

ourkid2000ourkid2000
          Participant

This whole thing was so unnecessary but it’s how it all goes on the internet these days isn’t it? Honestly, I can’t imagine how tough it is to maintain a Youtube channel like Erics for this long without something like this going down. I’m surprised it took this long honestly! I’ve been watching Eric since the very beginning and I love what he’s done over the years, and don’t forget, everything he provides for us to watch is free! However, everyone makes mistakes right?

I think everyone out there would agree that welding that ball joint in that situation is absolutely fine under the circumstances but I think we all expected it to be a temporary thing. As in, “bring it back in a couple weeks and i’ll replace that LCA but for now you’re fine”. I was a little disappointed that this didn’t happen. But then, once the backlash started, everyone got their backs up and it all went downhill………easy to do I’m sure.

There’s so much flack out there on the forums I visit, Youtube channels I subscribe to, etc and it really brings me down because it really didn’t have to go down that way and I can’t stand Eric being written off so quickly considering everything he’s offered us.

Keymaster

[quote=”ourkid2000″ post=161822]This whole thing was so unnecessary but it’s how it all goes on the internet these days isn’t it? Honestly, I can’t imagine how tough it is to maintain a Youtube channel like Erics for this long without something like this going down. I’m surprised it took this long honestly! I’ve been watching Eric since the very beginning and I love what he’s done over the years, and don’t forget, everything he provides for us to watch is free! However, everyone makes mistakes right?

I think everyone out there would agree that welding that ball joint in that situation is absolutely fine under the circumstances but I think we all expected it to be a temporary thing. As in, “bring it back in a couple weeks and i’ll replace that LCA but for now you’re fine”. I was a little disappointed that this didn’t happen. But then, once the backlash started, everyone got their backs up and it all went downhill………easy to do I’m sure.

There’s so much flack out there on the forums I visit, Youtube channels I subscribe to, etc and it really brings me down because it really didn’t have to go down that way and I can’t stand Eric being written off so quickly considering everything he’s offered us.[/quote]

Thank you for your support. The vehicle has been on the road almost 4 months now without incident. However, I’ve already ordered the new parts, including the LCA. Not because of the negative comments, but because I want to do right by those people that donated to FiF. I’ll be shooting a video on this when it comes in next week. I’m also hoping to prove all the ‘naysayers’ wrong about the welded ball joint while I have the opportunity.

ourkid2000ourkid2000
              Participant

Thank you for your support. The vehicle has been on the road almost 4 months now without incident. However, I’ve already ordered the new parts, including the LCA. Not because of the negative comments, but because I want to do right by those people that donated to FiF. I’ll be shooting a video on this when it comes in next week. I’m also hoping to prove all the ‘naysayers’ wrong about the welded ball joint while I have the opportunity.

I absolutely love the fact that you’re going to use the FIF funds to do that job, however, Eric I sincerely hope you reconsider going down that “proving” path because you know you can’t “win” no matter what you say or do. It’s just going to open you up for continued criticism isn’t it? The naysayers will “nay nay” (oh how I miss John Pinette) anything you do every way you justify it. Everyone knows that ball joint is going to be fine when you show it again, but that’s not the point.

I think if you take a more subtle approach and maybe use a bit of tact, this whole thing goes away. the right way. Replace the LCA, as a continuation of the original job and don’t even mention the backlash to the weld. Tough I know, but you’ll be golden in everyone’s eyes again!

Love your work dude, keep it up! CBC3 is awesome today by the way……..

Cheers from Nova Scotia!

Keymaster

[quote=”ourkid2000″ post=161883]

I absolutely love the fact that you’re going to use the FIF funds to do that job, however, Eric I sincerely hope you reconsider going down that “proving” path because you know you can’t “win” no matter what you say or do. It’s just going to open you up for continued criticism isn’t it? The naysayers will “nay nay” (oh how I miss John Pinette) anything you do every way you justify it. Everyone knows that ball joint is going to be fine when you show it again, but that’s not the point.

I think if you take a more subtle approach and maybe use a bit of tact, this whole thing goes away. the right way. Replace the LCA, as a continuation of the original job and don’t even mention the backlash to the weld. Tough I know, but you’ll be golden in everyone’s eyes again!

Love your work dude, keep it up! CBC3 is awesome today by the way……..

Cheers from Nova Scotia![/quote]

That’s a good point. I like your suggestion. I’ll work on some tactful way of putting that in and perhaps make a separate video of the ‘proof’.

Thanks very much for your level headed suggestion.

ourkid2000ourkid2000
                  Participant

How could anyone’s heart not be warmed by the way this all turned out? I only wish that I could have been there at that great event.

I’ve watched ETCG’s, Scanner Danner’s, and Eric O’s meetup videos a few times now and they continue to entertain me to no end. The good natured humor and positivity from all parties made for some of my favorite Youtube clips of all time. Just goes to show how people can turn negatives into great things!

Cheers to a great event Eric and keep up the great work!

Viewing 7 replies - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…