Menu

’01 Tacoma 3.4 IAC Question

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here ’01 Tacoma 3.4 IAC Question

• Creator
    Topic
    hondaguy453hondaguy453
    Participant

The truck stalled during startup. I checked for vacuum leaks and didn’t find any. Super low idle when the engine started and it would just stall, so I tapped on the IAC a few times and idle jumped up. I removed the throttle body and iac a little while ago. I wanted to know if the valve was supposed to be open with the KOEO. I’ll manually open the little door that slides open, but when I turn the key on it closes. Is this supposed to happen? The IAC doesn’t look dirty at all, nor does the passage in the TB.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      hondaguy453hondaguy453
      Participant

I forgot to mention that there isn’t a CEL on nor any codes stored in the ECU.

college mancollege man

usually when you tap on the IAC and the idle gets better.
          the IAC would be suspect and replaced. If the truck has ac
          turn it on and see if the idle jumps up. spray around the IAC
          with carb spray to make sure you don’t have a vacuum leak around
          the gasket.

hondaguy453hondaguy453
          Participant

Thanks college man! I sprayed the gasket and idle didn’t change. I also turned the A/C on as you suggested, and it also didn’t have an effect on idle. However, when I turned the A/C off, the truck stalled. I guess the ecu couldn’t compensate for the idle. Stupid IAC is 220 bux lol. It’s not my truck though so I don’t care lol :p

college mancollege man

I would say new IAC. 😉

hondaguy453hondaguy453
              Participant

Haha sweet! I just gotta wait for the person to get off work so we can go pick it up. Keep you posted!

hondaguy453hondaguy453
                Participant

The idle is pretty high after replacing the IAC. Do I need to reset the ecu? I sprayed for vacuum leaks again, but didn’t find any.

college mancollege man

how high is the idle?it stays high all the time or up and
                    down?

hondaguy453hondaguy453
                    Participant

In drive it is 988 and in park/neutral it is 1734. The idle does not lope up and down, just a constant high idle. Now I’m throwing a P0505 lol… Hmmmm

college mancollege man

did you use OE or aftermarket?check the connector.unplug it and reseat it.

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/skyvisions/2008-03-30_134115_01tacoidle.pdf

hondaguy453hondaguy453
                        Participant

The check engine light is not on, but my scantool still detects the code. I’m trying to find a flow chart, but from my understanding of the code, it’s either an open in the wiring, poor electrical connection, or failed part? I’ll try to disconnect and re-connect right now.

college mancollege man

its a two trip logic

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0505

hondaguy453hondaguy453
                            Participant

Thanks college man. I’m going to go disconnect it and drive it around. See if the code pops up.

hondaguy453hondaguy453
                              Participant

Alright, I unplugged the IAC and the same code came on, but just that one. I guess it’s electrical.. Yayyy… It’s weird though. When I first started to diagnose the bad IAC, the idle would change when I tapped on it. I’ll test for voltage and stuff right now.

hondaguy453hondaguy453
                                Participant

I just realized I forgot to answer one of your questions college man. They decided to go aftermarket for the IAC.

hondaguy453hondaguy453
                                  Participant

This is the OEM IAC. Are the screws what tune them?

This is the new, aftermarket valve. It’s “tuned” to the extremes.

Attachments:
                                  Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…