Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2006 Honda Accord Goes to neutral while driving

2006 Honda Accord Goes to neutral while driving

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2006 Honda Accord Goes to neutral while driving

• Creator
    Topic
    Coty ylveCoty ylve
    Participant

Good Morning

I am experiencing issues with my Honda Accord EX 2.4L 4 cyl. I am driving down the road and my vehicle has the blinking D light from hell. All of a sudden the car goes into neutral( not able to shift 1,2,3 and 4). When it goes into the neutral setting, I just simply pop my hood and remove the negative battery cable for a minute and everything is accessible Drive Reverse, Etc. I change my first gear pressure switch, I changed my tranmission fluid( light brownish similar to brake fluid). My vechicle runs the same way it has since I got it. The only problem is something is causing this vehicle to slip into a neutral position every ten miles.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Dave TidmanDave Tidman
      Participant

If you have access to a scan tool that reads Honda transmission codes, that would be helpful. I would look at the shift solenoid as a possibility without a code. However you could spend a lot of money and time firing the parts cannon at this and not fix the issue.

Coty ylveCoty ylve
        Participant

I really don’t want to spend a lot of money on this. Just wondering why do you think its a shift sensor.

Dave TidmanDave Tidman
          Participant

The shift solenoid seems easy to test on the bench, I wouldn’t just replace it without testing it.

I’m not familiar with the Honda transmission fail safe modes, maybe someone else here knows what they are.

Coty ylveCoty ylve
            Participant

I was recently told by a honda associate that it could possibly a torque converter

Coty ylveCoty ylve
              Participant

Finally received codes on it P0740

Jonathan StiverJonathan Stiver
                Participant

That is indeed a code for the torque converter, specifically the lock up function. Normally I tell people not to worry about that since the torque converter lockups only function is to save fuel on the highway. Maybe you can try replacing the solenoid for TCC or try unplugging it and see if you get the same symptom. That’s really a shame if Honda designed the vehicle to be basically undrivable due to a nonessential function like that.

Dave TidmanDave Tidman
                  Participant
                    JoshJosh
                    Participant

Dumb question but we know that your car is
                      2006 Honda Accord LX 2.4L I-4 (inline 4 cylinder)

What kind of trans….I”m guessing Auto by the code but just to sure you do have an Automatic correct?

https://www.ericthecarguy.com/obd-code-lookup/29-obd-codes/obd-ii-codes/honda-obd-ii-specific-codes/214-p0740-torque-converter-clutch-malfunction-honda

Per Accord FSM:

[QUOTE]DTC P0741: Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Stuck OFF

1. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature (the radiator fan comes on).
                      2. Make sure that the transmission is filled to the proper level, and check for fluid leaks.
                      3. Drain the ATF (see step 3 in ATF Replacement ) through a strainer. Inspect the strainer for metal debris or excessive clutch material.
                      Does the strainer contain metal debris or excessive clutch material?
                      YES – Replace the transmission.
                      NO – Replace the ATF (with HONDA TRANSMISSION FLUID NOT GENERIC), then go to step 4.
                      4. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
                      5. Clear the DTC with the HDS.
                      6. Choose Lockup Solenoid Test in Miscellaneous Test Menu, and check that the torque converter clutch solenoid valve operates with the HDS.
                      Is a clicking sound heard?
                      YES – Go to step 6.
                      NO – Replace the torque converter clutch solenoid valve, then go to step 13.
                      7. Run the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches 176°F (80°C).
                      8. Choose Clutch Pressure Control (Linear) Solenoid A in Miscellaneous Test Menu, and test the A/T clutch pressure control solenoid valve A with the HDS.
                      Is the system OK?
                      YES – Go to step 7.
                      NO – Follow instructions indicated on the HDS by the tester result. Go to step 13 if any part was replaced.
                      9. Test-drive the vehicle at 55 mph (88 km/h) for 2 minutes while monitoring the vehicle speed with the HDS.
                      10. Monitor the OBD status for P0741 in the DTCs/ Freeze Data in A/T Mode Menu for a pass/fail.
                      Does the result indicate FAILED?
                      YES – Repair the faulty torque converter clutch mechanism, torque
                      converter clutch hydraulic circuit, lock-up shift valve, or lock-up control
                      valve, or replace the transmission.
                      NO – Intermittent failure, the system is OK at this time. If the tester indicates NOT COMPLETED, return to step 9 and recheck.
                      11. Reconnect all connectors.
                      12. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
                      13. Clear the DTC with the HDS.
                      14. Test-drive the vehicle for several minutes under the same conditions as those indicated by the freeze data.
                      15. Check for DTCs with the HDS.
                      Is DTC P0741 indicated?
                      YES – Go to step 6.
                      NO – Go to step 16.
                      16. Monitor the OBD status for P0741 in the DTCs Menu with the HDS.
                      Does the result indicate PASSED?
                      YES – Troubleshooting is complete. If any other DTCs were indicated in step 15, go to the indicated DTC’s troubleshooting.
                      NO – If the screen indicates FAILED, go to step 6. If the screen indicates NOT COMPLETED, go to step 14. [/QUOTE]

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…