Menu

99 Mustang GT 4.6 Overhaul

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 99 Mustang GT 4.6 Overhaul

• Creator
    Topic
    FernyGTFernyGT
    Participant

[color=#333333]Hi my name is Fernando, my dad and i just rebuild a mustang gt 4.6 engine but i am having this problem. when rebuilding we

Viewing 8 replies - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dreamer2355dreamer2355
      Participant

Quoted From FernyGT:

where can I get that service information????

You should have that information present when rebuilding a motor at all times. Without it, its a lost cause.

It has everything you need to know when it comes down to torque specifications, clearances for all bearings, specifications for cylinder bores, tapper and so forth…

You will need to look online for one.

MattMatt
        Participant

Quoted From FernyGT:

where can I get that service information????

Man, you really have to buy the service manual. I just found a digital version of the factory Toyota manual for my Toyota rav4 for $8.75. I downloaded it. It’s all in adobe, but I’m gonna spend the extra bucks and print it off. You can’t do a proper engine rebuild without that info.

FernyGTFernyGT
          Participant

Quoted From Beefy:

If you had the engine rebuilt, and the guy happened to leave the bottom end loose, why not take it to his shop and make him eat it? I’m just curious now…

There is a family story involved since this guy is my friends brother in law, he already took matter in this joint, but i do not want him to touch this engine again as he can leave it worse. you know what they say if that mechanic did not worked… change him.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
            Participant
              FernyGTFernyGT
              Participant

the only info i had was the torque specs that i found online but i was unable to find the acceptable clearence and was not gonna since another mechanic told me that if i was within that range, it was ok

FernyGTFernyGT
                Participant

Quoted From Trcustoms719:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f2fcbTh5yw

Watch that video.

already did my question is if I an in the right clearence, am i missing something, why is there a rattling noise if i am starting at 50 psi and drops down, is that normal??? should i change oil pump??? or is there something i did not understood from the video

MattMatt
                  Participant

Quoted From FernyGT:

the only info i had was the torque specs that i found online but i was unable to find the acceptable clearence and was not gonna since another mechanic told me that if i was within that range, it was ok

honestly, it sounds like you need to figure out where the noise is coming from. i suspect you have low oil pressure issues somewhere in the engine. you might be better served to long block it. get a warrantied engine from a up and up salvage yard. if you can then salvage the engine in the car, then you could sell it off if rebuilt properly. when you get into work done by someone you don’t trust, you are already in trouble.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                    Keymaster

As pointed out the engine clearances are CRITICAL to a proper rebuild, you say you checked the rods and mains but what about the piston to cylinder wall? Did you check the ring gap? Did you use assembly lube? Did you prime the oil pump before firing it up for the first time? Did you hone the cylinder walls if they were OK to prep for new rings? You say you spun rod bearings, how did you treat the rods and crank journals after this? If you just put new bearings in this may not be enough.

My point is that there are about 1000 different moving parts inside of an engine and EACH part has a role to play and needs proper clearance to operate correctly and maintain proper oil pressure. If ALL of the clearances weren’t checked then everything is suspect and the work needs to be redone. In order to have a successful rebuild you need to check all of these clearances and have your hard parts checked by a qualified machinist, if not it’s likely that you won’t have a successful rebuild. I often recommend that people NOT do rebuilds on an engine for these very reasons as engine rebuilding requires meticulous attention to detail, proper measuring tools, a qualified machinist, and a clean working environment, without these things it’s not likely you’ll have a successful rebuild.

That said you need to first find out where the noise is coming from AND check the oil pressure. Here is a video on tracking down noises that might help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mpNRJ7m-c8

Viewing 8 replies - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…