Menu

debris inside cylinder head

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here debris inside cylinder head

• Creator
    Topic
    BillBill
    Participant

Hello
      I was working on a 04 blazer 4.3 vortex when a very small tip of a screw driver broke off and went down into the #1 cylinder fuel port! I set the motor to tdc and removed the lower intake but can not locate it. I tried probing around with a magnetic rod and tried fishing it out thru the spark plug hole with no luck! Any one have any tricks I can try ! Thanks

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      IngvarIngvar
      Participant

Yuck!!!
        Pray it will simply burn from combustion. Or, get stuck somewhere safe.
        Otherwise….. It will either be your luck, or a long scar on cylinder wall. You have too much magnetic metal in there to use magnet picker.
        Well, no, that won’t work. Short of head removal, I can’t possibly imagine what else to do. Blow with compressed air and hope it’ll pop out? A vacuum cleaner flexible nozzle connected to strong shop vac?

BillBill
        Participant

I thought about the shop vac or trying to flush it out with water

Bryan CarterBryan Carter
          Participant

[quote=”billblazer04″ post=108753]…flush it out with water[/quote]
            You probably don’t want to do that.

BillBill
            Participant

You’re right I don’t want to do that!

JamieJamie
              Participant

You need 2 things. A bendy straw, and a wad of chewing gum. Enjoy the gum first and then jam it into the short end of the straw. Now go cylinder fishing for debris. Works pretty good.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                Keymaster

[quote=”JS” post=108762]You need 2 things. A bendy straw, and a wad of chewing gum. Enjoy the gum first and then jam it into the short end of the straw. Now go cylinder fishing for debris. Works pretty good.[/quote]

I like this idea. I’m going to have to try that at some point.

It really depends on how big the part is. If it’s not that big you might not worry about it. It will probably get sent out the exhaust.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

BillBill
                  Participant

Many years ago the same thing happened to me and I took a chance. The tiny piece of screw driver ended up stuck into the top of a piston. It sounded like the engine was gonna explode.

Luckily, it didn’t damage anything but I had to remove the cylinder head to retrieve the broken screwdriver piece.

Moral of the story is if you can’t find it, either take a chance or remove the cylinder head.

You know what decision I would make knowing what I know now.

BillBill
                    Participant

Would I have a better chance of finding it by removing the exhaust manifold?. Thanks for the help

BillBill
                      Participant

I have a mobil mechanic coming over to put a camera in the head to try and locate it??? Does that make sence to you

John HugonJohn Hugon
                        Participant

Yes, those scopes work very well …I have one and it’s a great tool. I wish I would have seen this post before…I would have recommended one.

Rafael HedrickRafael Hedrick
                          Participant

We were at a mechanic shop one time and he asked us if we wanted to see something. This was a ford and I believe it was part of spark had fallen in the cylinder and was sitting on top of the piston . (He said this was a common problem when removing them.) The ignition system was disconnected and he turned it over and it shot it right out of the piston!!

BillBill
                            Participant

Yeah….that’s a great idea. I really hope you find it.

BillBill
                              Participant

I guess the spark plugs go directly on top of the piston

Rafael HedrickRafael Hedrick
                                Participant

[quote=”billblazer04″ post=109085]I guess the spark plugs go directly on top of the piston[/quote]

That’s how I understood it the way he was explaining it.

BillBill
                                  Participant

update to my problem. i had someone put i camera down into the engine.he found the tip of the screw driver but could not fish it out. he also said that it looks like the piston has a crack in the top of it.not sure what to do but he did tell me the head would have to be removed to get the the screw driver tip out. this sucks

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…