Menu

DeWalt 3/8 Impact Tool Review

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum DeWalt 3/8 Impact Tool Review

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

I must admit I was expecting more. I’ve been told there’s an 18v version that works better.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BruceBruce
      Participant

I went with Milwaukee. I have the M12 1/4 and 3/8 ratchets and the m12 stick light. Also have the M18 1/2 impact and the M18 Fuel 3/8 compact impact. Very happy with all of them. The 3/8 impact will remove lugnuts if they werent torqued much past 150ftlbs. Most shops around here over torque lugnuts, so a lot of times I have to use the M18 1/2. But if the last shop to work on it didnt over torque the lugs the M18 Fuel 3/8 will take them off. Also the fuel impacts have adjustable power settings. The 3/8 version, that I have, the lowest setting I think is around 17 ftlbs, middle is 75ftlbs, and high is 200ftlbs. I plan on getting the M18 Fuel 1/2 fullsize impact at some point. The only real complaints I have is the rubber on the grips of the ratchets have peeled off and the 3/8 ratchet could use a little more power. And the anvils on the ratchets aren’t as strong as a good air ratchet. But I am very happy with all of them and I hardly touch an air hose anymore.

RereonehundredRereonehundred
        Participant

Thanks for the honest review.

It is useful to know that the DeWalt is useless, and confirms that there’s little truth to advertizing.

I’d return the tool to the store without hesitation and let DeWalt suck up their loss.

What was the torque on your Element’s lug nuts? My Hondas with alloy wheels both call for 80 ft-lb, so according to DeWalt’s advertizing, it should have spun those off.

HudsonHudson
          Participant

Eric, that tool is useless. We have that exact one at work. It’s useless. I work for a landscaping company and have the task of fixing things. Whether it be vehicles, or a post hole digger. Either way, you get the point.

That’s the last tool i’ll even think about picking up. It’s literally useless as you’ve come to discover. I’d return it and get your money back. I actually used it last night to put shocks on one of my buddies jeeps. I didn’t trust that it was tight enough and snugged it up with my Snap On MG725 which i know made them good to go.

For cordless tools so far i’ve bought Milwaukee. I honestly love them.

I have these;

– Milwaukee M18 3/8″ Impact – 166 ft/pounds – (http://www.amazon.com/Bare-Tool-Milwaukee-2651-20-18-Volt-Compact/dp/B001VGQSM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389211040&sr=8-1&keywords=milwaukee+3%2F8+impact)
            – Mulwaukee M18 1/2″ Impact – 475 ft/pounds – (http://www.amazon.com/Bare-Tool-Milwaukee-2663-20-18-Volt-Friction/dp/B002AKKJBS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389211399&sr=8-2&keywords=milwaukee+1%2F2+impact)
            – Battery – (http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-11-1828-LITHIUM-Lithium-ion-Cordless/dp/B001F0QLCA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389212481&sr=8-1&keywords=m18+battery)
            – Charger – (http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-59-1812-Multi-Voltage-Charger/dp/B007PDBHBG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1389212500&sr=8-6&keywords=m18+battery)

Anyways the total investment for both of those tools + 2 batteries + a charger is $507.89. Might seem like a lot but that’s about the price of a single 1/2″ Snap On air impact. (Then you have to buy an air compressor, air lines, etc.)

Both of these use the same battery. I’ve had a lot of success breaking lug nuts with the 3/8″ impact but when i have the 1/2″ one sitting right next to it if i know i have to break a lug nut i just grab that real quick so i don’t strain my 3/8″ one. They both work awesome. The 3/8″ one is perfect for smaller stuff. I find myself using it for just about everything. Super compact and balanced in the hand.

The 1/2″ one is significantly heaver, but then again it packs a significantly harder punch. Works awesome for suspension stuff and lug nuts and axle nuts and everything really. The only thing that managed to hold it up so far was a super rusty leaf spring bolt. Heated it up with an oxy torch until cherry red and the impact breezed it out.

I will give DeWalt credit for their 1/4″ impact. It’s awesome for driving drywall screws. That’s the only thing it’s good for, and for that it works awesome.

I normally don’t get a minute to join in on your discussions Eric, but keep up the videos man. I watch them all. They’re great.

ShawnShawn
            Participant

I’m also a fan of the M12 and M18 lines. The FUEL series is the way to go (brushless).

Here’s the good 1/2 imapct kit: http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2763-22

Here’s the 3/8: http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2654-22ct

The 1/2 I posted has a breakaway torque of 1,000 ft-lbs and a maximum fastening of 700.
              The 3/8 goes up to 200ft-lbs.

vgs8606vgs8606
              Participant

I have this tool (DeWalt 3/8 impact wrench) purchased when they came out couple of years ago. The first thing I did after I got it is tried on my Honda Odyssey lug bolts. It did NOT take them off when there was a swivel adapter in between. But it DID take off when I used the straight socket on it. It had to work at it for few (5-10) seconds but it did take it off. Frankly, it is NOT designed for that kind of work. It is a great tool to work under hood and under dash though. I did EGR cleanup and used it to take the upper intake manifold and throttle body off. It was breeze with this tool. I also recently used it to drive lag bolts for installing flat panel wall mount. Either DeWalt is now shipping junk tool or this one is defective.

Michele PensottiMichele Pensotti
                Participant

Wow, after the good review of the ARI2023 and my very good personal experience with the IR 7150, I expected much more from the DeWalt.

However as you pointed out at the beginning of the video, it’s an “advertised 12volts” tool but in reality it is only 10.8 volts tool.
                  And this is a huge handicap and, I think, the explanation for the disappointing performance it did show in your video.

Also, I’ve taken the opportunity to look for other similar tool reviews on the net, and in one case about a very similar looking IR (it was the W5130 if I’m not mistaken), the guy tried the very same tool with both the 1.5Ah battery AND the 3.0Ah one and got very very different results; lots more torque with the bigger battery.
                  Sounds to me like the car’s lead batterys that “the bigger they are, the more CCA they have”.

Regarding the tool itself, if I were you Eric, I’d get my money back and get a 18 (or better 20) volt 3/8, be it the DeWalt, the Milwaukee or the IR; I’m sure it would give you a much better usage experience 😉

And this all reminds a phrase I often get used on automotive forums: “There’s no substitute for engine displacement” 😆

And, last but not least, I’d be very curious to see how well in terms of torque would perform a 18/20volt ratchet when compared to the its pneumatic counter part.

Just my two cents here, please share your comments! :cheer:

Live long and prosper (and stay dirty!)

10nico

WayneWayne
                  Participant

Really, should have gone with the DCF883 or so (20v max lithium), as your bud briansmobile1 did in his review.

Links as given in brian’s video comments:
                    Full tool kit
                    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ML7FJO/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B007ML7FJO&linkCode=as2&tag=httpwwwyou00f-20

The 1/2in version:
                    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092RUSW2/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0092RUSW2&linkCode=as2&tag=httpwwwyou00f-20

I’ve used the smeg out of this tool (the 3/8’s version), works fine for lug nuts, etc. It still comes short of air impact of course for yanking problem items such as exhaust, but I think the 1/2in version might get very close. The torq rating on them is what counts, the 883 3/8’s makes it to 174ft/lbs(max, likely around 140 usable with a fully charged battery). Battery issues are a thing of the past with this as well, I’ve yet to run even the first battery down using it all day a few times. The 3 front LEDs come on with a tap, and stay on for 30 seconds at a time, so you can see a bit better before you actually start using it. Much better tool, that I think wouldn’t have disappointed.

Trouble is most common places you’d think would carry the 3/8’s and 1/2, don’t. I actually looked locally, nobody carried it in the tool stores, or the major chains (home depot, lowes). Had to get it from amazon.

JaapJaap
                    Participant

Kinda sad that they call it 12V when it’s really a 10.8V.
                      I think i’ll stick wih Makita. They have a 325 ft.lbs. version as well (440Nm)
                      http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BTW450-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless/dp/B0014Z0MUI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389288386&sr=8-1&keywords=makita+btw450

vgs8606vgs8606
                      Participant

My experience with this tool is completely different than Eric’s. I found my old review. As it turns out, I was able to take off my Honda Odyssey wheel with it at that time. Either Eric got a dud or manufacturer is now shipping all junk. I am hoping it is former. Here is the link for the review: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3242900/1

I would suggest that Eric ask for a replacement and run the test again.

Keymaster

A lot of people have suggested that the tool was defective, I don’t believe it was. My experience with 12v tools is pretty much typical of what you saw in the video. Also, just reading through the comments on this thread, I can see my experience was not unique. That said, I’m working on getting another DeWalt, this time the 18v. I expect better results from that tool.

As an aside. The 12v would work fine in small applications. Perhaps on valve bodies or something like that. It is useful, just not useful enough for me to replace my pneumatic 3/8.

Thank you everyone for your input.

vgs8606vgs8606
                          Participant

I know that this is the wrong tool for taking the wheels off. However, it should have zero trouble taking off those 10mm and 12mm on the Civic head. I zipped through easily on the Odyssey intake manifold and the throttle body intake using this tool. I understand your reluctance to try it again. I am hoping that either the store or the manufacturer will be ashamed enough and loan you another piece to re-run the test. Hopefully, DeWalt will realize how popular your channel is and DeWalt social media person will get in touch with you.

If I get the time, I might run my test again and post the response video. Who knows, in three years the batteries or the tool might have lost all of its oomph too 🙁

Keymaster

Honestly, I’m not worried about it. I felt it was a thorough and fair review of the tool. I’ve already got an 18v on the way to review next. We’ll see how that one measurers up.

Thanks for your input.

Elliott DelayeElliott Delaye
                              Participant

It would be good to get an update with a fully charged battery and also tell us what was the torque spec for those lug nuts.

Personally I use the M12 Fuel 3/8 (12 Volt brushless motor) from Milwaukee which has no problem taking off 85ftlb lug nuts, 5 per wheel, then tightening them back to probably 50ftlb before I finish off with the torque wrench. A full rotation on a car takes about 50% of their small size M12 battery. When I first got it I had the same experience as your DeWalt because I had the Milwaukee on their low speed/torque setting. After switching to high torque with a full battery everything’s been great.

There’s an M12 electric ratchet which I use but it’s torque rating is very low. It’s great to get smaller nuts/bolts in or out quickly once broken free by manually working the ratchet and does save a lot of time. It’s exactly what I’d use to disassemble a head like in your video.

JohnJohn
                                Participant

This review was good for me. Not because I was looking at getting a DeWalt, but because it helps me when considering an impact wrench for occasional use, what is going to actually work when I need it. If it can’t even handle wheel nuts, or, as seen, moderately tight bolts, then this type/size of tool and power isn’t for me.

EricEric
                                  Participant

I thought the review was great. I wish I had been able to research these this past summer. I was pulling the head on a Volvo S70 which has about 40+ 10mm fasteners holding the valvecover/cam retainer down. I always wanted a cordless impact and this was the excuse. I bought a Bosch 12v and it wouldn’t break them loose. Exchanged it for a 20v Lithium ion Porter Cable and it worked real good. Just 1/4 inch drive but it is real light. Go ahead tell me I should have went with a DeWalt.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…