Menu

ETCG Gets a Case of the IDGAF

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG1 Video Discussions ETCG Gets a Case of the IDGAF

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

I think everybody feels this way from time to time no matter how much you love your job. I suppose the trick is to just keep working through it. What are your thoughts?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Rereonehundred
      Participant

In the motorcycle world I’ve seen several colleagues bristling with enthusiasm as hobby technician motorcyclists. Then they get a job as a motorcycle tech, and wind up hating motorcycles within a few years. Same for cars, for the most part.

To a great extent this is inherent and unavoidable “maturing”, and it happens to lawyers, doctors, military personnel, etc.

But I’ve also seen the powerful influence of a good boss on individuals and teams. One of my old bosses did something special for us once a month, but you never knew what or when. For example, he’d suddenly tell everyone to stow their tools, and he’d foot the bill for a lakeside patio lunch in a nice restaurant full of beautiful women. We’d go nuts with joy and be happy for days.

John Hugon
        Participant

If this is to negative you can delete.

Very good video…. but…

You didn’t mention comeback(s) on a big repair(s) you have done and the customer went to the owner of the dealer and wants them to buy the car back.

The same day the service manager lowered my guarantee 40 hrs a week pay down to 32hrs and put me on probation. Nobody even mentioned how hard it is to make time on engines, transmissions and drivability issues.

You didn’t mention a car salesman who usually made four times the salary you made tells you you’re overpaid.

You didn’t mention you have to be faultless in everything you do, no matter how you feel or how bad the job is.

You didn’t mention a customer(s) leaving notes in cars stating you better fix this car right the first time, if you don’t I will hold you responsible.

I could go on for hours; my acid reflex is started to act up…but….I was blessed to make it 38 years being a dealer technician, mostly because I kept myself in shape. I was forced to leave, probably because of my age and couldn’t work fast as the young people. No retirement party, no fellow workers wanting to get together. When I went back to get my tool box I couldn’t even get anyone to help me load it and I worked with those people for ten years.

Would I do it again…..NO…..

dan

You know Eric i am right there with you, sometimes i wish i would have stuck with the Mechanics business but then again i am happy i didn’t, i constantly have days where i just dont give a f$#@, i work in a factory making bumpers for ford, Chevy, dodge trucks, and grills for jeeps and its the same thing every day, if anyone knows how a factory works they understand, except my place has there heads so far up there butts the common slogan at my place is “if anything ever makes sense around here we might just not have a job.” because its true if things did make more sense they wouldn’t need too hire so many employees!

part of the reason i decided too discontinue my search for a job as a mechanic is because i realized having it as a job did make it a IDGAF moment the entire time, its no longer something you do on your free time or just too fix the car or do maintenance, you do it every single day and it can seem like your crawling through the mud too make it through the day. i think doing it for myself or just helping a friend wrench or giving suggestions here on eric the car guy just gives me a little bit of that fix too work on cars that i was just overdosing on when working as a mechanic.

dan

[quote=”JTF” post=103520]If this is to negative you can delete.

Very good video…. but…

You didn’t mention comeback(s) on a big repair(s) you have done and the customer went to the owner of the dealer and wants them to buy the car back.

The same day the service manager lowered my guarantee 40 hrs a week pay down to 32hrs and put me on probation. Nobody even mentioned how hard it is to make time on engines, transmissions and drivability issues.

You didn’t mention a car salesman who usually made four times the salary you made tells you you’re overpaid.

You didn’t mention you have to be faultless in everything you do, no matter how you feel or how bad the job is.

You didn’t mention a customer(s) leaving notes in cars stating you better fix this car right the first time, if you don’t I will hold you responsible.

I could go on for hours; my acid reflex is started to act up…but….I was blessed to make it 38 years being a dealer technician, mostly because I kept myself in shape. I was forced to leave, probably because of my age and couldn’t work fast as the young people. No retirement party, no fellow workers wanting to get together. When I went back to get my tool box I couldn’t even get anyone to help me load it and I worked with those people for ten years.

Would I do it again…..NO…..[/quote]

no one helped you too load your toolbox at all when you left, wow man what a bunch of selfish A holes, didn’t there mom and dad teach them too respect people and be nice? thats just low man, someone who has been a mechanic for 38 years, i wouldn’t be suprised with your wisdom that you may have helped others and they didn’t even bother too give you a hand as you left the place… wow man that is just low! hey, at least you made it man, you did what many others couldn’t was a mechanic for 3.5 decades!

Jonathan
              Participant

Hello Everyone!
                Eric, I really have come to love watching your videos. They have given me some good insite into the world of Automotive repair. I enjoy getting the repair tech’s point of view on things. As an aviation electrican (Avionics tech) I can relate to many of your videos, as some of the things you say also hold true in the world of aviation maitenence. There have been days where I draged myself to work, and was like, great.. I have to do THIS? Don’t get me wrong, I still love my job, I love aviation, but some jobs are just annoying. Last night was one of those nights. We had a bunch of GPS recievers that needed software updates. I think myself and a coworker managed to get 2 done. We had issues with the programer/loader ect. seemed last night was not a good night at work. So I feel you there Eric. 🙂

Also, I remember you made a video about getting more healthy. Comparing how you look in your older videos to how you look now, you do look healthier. This past year Ive been bicycling more and my sister said after not seeing me for a while that I look healthier as well.
                On a side note,
                My birthday is in a few weeks. I’ll have to re-watch your video so you can say happy birthday to me 😉
                But most of the time, I have fun, I try to stay safe, and I defiently stay dirty!

John Hugon
                Participant

Moderators, please delete if my posts are not to your taste.
                  13aceofspades13 stated:
                  no one helped you too load your toolbox at all when you left, wow man what a bunch of selfish A holes,
                  Yep and that’s their good point. I took all the tools out of the drawers, the drawers out and barely got one end of the cabinet up on my tailgate. As I was balancing the box a lot attendant was walking by, and I offered him $5 to help me lift the cabinet the rest of the way into the truck.
                  13aceofspades13 stated:
                  i wouldn’t be suprised with your wisdom that you may have helped others
                  One of the Techs worked with me at another Dealership and I backed him to get a job at this Dealership.
                  13aceofspades13 stated:
                  someone who has been a mechanic for 38 years
                  The facts are nobody cares. Once you start having bad days and don’t make the Dealer the money you once made them…you’re gone….
                  13aceofspades13 stated:
                  at least you made it man, you did what many others couldn’t was a mechanic for 3.5 decades!
                  Thank you for the comment,most of all I was blessed, but I made it by the skin of my teeth.

InsyleM Stated:
                  We had a bunch of GPS recievers that needed software updates. I think myself and a coworker managed to get 2 done.
                  In an automotive Dealership I worked at, you’re allowed .2 of an hour for updates…that’s 12 mins. to get the car in your bay, hook the scanner up, get in the service manual and do the update. If it takes longer you’re going in the hole for your guarantee 40 hrs. If you don’t come up with 40 hrs a week flagged factory time on the second week they will put you at 32 hrs. guarantee and put you on probation. If the trend keeps going on for one month… you’re gone.
                  I’ll bet my last dollar the FAA will never let that fly. (No pun indented)

Lee Ann

Feel free to chime in, as I may be wearing the proverbial rose colored glasses at this point, but I think that a large factor in job satisfaction lies first with ones controlled enthusiasm and positive attitude, followed closely by the people (manager/owner/co-workers) of the shop in which one is working.

I will be working for one of the best independent shops in my area (ok, I might be a little biased) once my first semester at school is complete when I am eligible for Field Experience (and as I understand it, during my first semester this fall, as a Lube Tech. What is cool about this job is that I will have the opportunity to sell other services as a result of my inspections and then pass the jobs on to my 2 co-workers).

Had I had even the slightest glimpse into the future as a youngster, I would have gotten into this field a long time ago, had I not feared gender bias back then.

I know there will be ups and downs…every job has them. Another motto I live by: Always have a back-up plan.

Ok Eric, do you have more ideas for solutions to working through the IDGAF feeling that seem to be inevitable?

Thanks for your reply.

PS Looking forward to the challenges of diagnostics as an Auto Tech. Planning to focus on electrical and driveability/performance.

Joeseph Mama
                    Participant

I had a case of IDGAF when it came to my last marriage. :dry:

dan

[quote=”JTF” post=103560]Moderators, please delete if my posts are not to your taste.
                        13aceofspades13 stated:
                        no one helped you too load your toolbox at all when you left, wow man what a bunch of selfish A holes,
                        Yep and that’s their good point. I took all the tools out of the drawers, the drawers out and barely got one end of the cabinet up on my tailgate. As I was balancing the box a lot attendant was walking by, and I offered him $5 to help me lift the cabinet the rest of the way into the truck.
                        13aceofspades13 stated:
                        i wouldn’t be suprised with your wisdom that you may have helped others
                        One of the Techs worked with me at another Dealership and I backed him to get a job at this Dealership.
                        13aceofspades13 stated:
                        someone who has been a mechanic for 38 years
                        The facts are nobody cares. Once you start having bad days and don’t make the Dealer the money you once made them…you’re gone….
                        13aceofspades13 stated:
                        at least you made it man, you did what many others couldn’t was a mechanic for 3.5 decades!
                        Thank you for the comment,most of all I was blessed, but I made it by the skin of my teeth.

InsyleM Stated:
                        We had a bunch of GPS recievers that needed software updates. I think myself and a coworker managed to get 2 done.
                        In an automotive Dealership I worked at, you’re allowed .2 of an hour for updates…that’s 12 mins. to get the car in your bay, hook the scanner up, get in the service manual and do the update. If it takes longer you’re going in the hole for your guarantee 40 hrs. If you don’t come up with 40 hrs a week flagged factory time on the second week they will put you at 32 hrs. guarantee and put you on probation. If the trend keeps going on for one month… you’re gone.
                        I’ll bet my last dollar the FAA will never let that fly. (No pun indented)[/quote]

buy the skin of your teeth or not, that is a accomplishment in my mind!

EricTheCarGuy
                        Keymaster

[quote=”JTF” post=103520]If this is to negative you can delete.

Very good video…. but…

Would I do it again…..NO…..[/quote]

Very sorry to hear about your experience. I have covered those topics in some of my other videos however. That said, it doesn’t change your experience and I understand. Thanks for sharing your story.

EricTheCarGuy
                          Keymaster

[quote=”InsyleM” post=103544]Hello Everyone!
                            Eric, I really have come to love watching your videos. They have given me some good insite into the world of Automotive repair. I enjoy getting the repair tech’s point of view on things. As an aviation electrican (Avionics tech) I can relate to many of your videos, as some of the things you say also hold true in the world of aviation maitenence. There have been days where I draged myself to work, and was like, great.. I have to do THIS? Don’t get me wrong, I still love my job, I love aviation, but some jobs are just annoying. Last night was one of those nights. We had a bunch of GPS recievers that needed software updates. I think myself and a coworker managed to get 2 done. We had issues with the programer/loader ect. seemed last night was not a good night at work. So I feel you there Eric. 🙂

Also, I remember you made a video about getting more healthy. Comparing how you look in your older videos to how you look now, you do look healthier. This past year Ive been bicycling more and my sister said after not seeing me for a while that I look healthier as well.
                            On a side note,
                            My birthday is in a few weeks. I’ll have to re-watch your video so you can say happy birthday to me 😉
                            But most of the time, I have fun, I try to stay safe, and I defiently stay dirty![/quote]

I’ll get a head start and wish you a happy birthday now. Also, congratulations on getting healthy. It’s probably the best investment you’ll ever make in my opinion.

Thanks for your comments.

EricTheCarGuy
                            Keymaster

[quote=”lar1969″ post=103591]Feel free to chime in, as I may be wearing the proverbial rose colored glasses at this point, but I think that a large factor in job satisfaction lies first with ones controlled enthusiasm and positive attitude, followed closely by the people (manager/owner/co-workers) of the shop in which one is working.

I will be working for one of the best independent shops in my area (ok, I might be a little biased) once my first semester at school is complete when I am eligible for Field Experience (and as I understand it, during my first semester this fall, as a Lube Tech. What is cool about this job is that I will have the opportunity to sell other services as a result of my inspections and then pass the jobs on to my 2 co-workers).

Had I had even the slightest glimpse into the future as a youngster, I would have gotten into this field a long time ago, had I not feared gender bias back then.

I know there will be ups and downs…every job has them. Another motto I live by: Always have a back-up plan.

Ok Eric, do you have more ideas for solutions to working through the IDGAF feeling that seem to be inevitable?

Thanks for your reply.

PS Looking forward to the challenges of diagnostics as an Auto Tech. Planning to focus on electrical and driveability/performance.[/quote]

As for working through the IDGAF, I just remind myself that I chose the profession, I’m good at it, and I help a lot of people. I used to work jobs that were so much worse. I worked 7 days a week for over a year to become a mechanic, and I actually still feel privileged to be an auto repair technician. We all have our days though as the comments here support.

Thanks for your input.

John Hugon
                              Participant

Thanks 13aceofspades13 and EricTheCarGuy for the thoughtful words. I too chose the occupation of an auto technician and found out early it was not a rose garden. That being said, I did have some very good experiences /times in my tenure , but it was a disgrace to me how it ended up. It was a path predestined for me and I have to accept it.

I’ll stop the crying now and move foreword 😆

Joe
                                Participant

the ex-military guy in me is kind of appalled by this thread. laziness and simply CHOOSING not to care is simply unacceptable in my mind, even for a short while. That said, I’ve been through some pretty rough crap in some even crappier places. Compared to most of that even the hardest day in the shop is a walk in the park in comparison.

Never give up, never surrender, yadda yadda. My .02 cents.

Fanny
                                  Participant

How’d ya know it was my birthday yesterday, Mr. Car-Guy?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…
                                  https://ibufoundation.or.id/totoup/ situs togel situs togel togel online bo togel situs togel situs togel toto macau agen toto situs togel situs toto bo togel situs togel situs togel resmi situs togel situs toto situs togel situs togel situs togel situs toto togel online situs toto rimbatoto rimbatoto rimbatoto situs toto bo toto situs toto situs togel situs toto slot gacor situs toto https://fbik.unissula.ac.id/bandar/ situs toto slot gacor https://tp.fkip.ulm.ac.id/toto/ slot gacor