Menu

Honda Civic 2005 oil leak issue

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Honda Civic 2005 oil leak issue

• Creator
    Topic
    EmmanuelEmmanuel
    Participant

Hi there. My 2005 Honda Civic is having an oil leak and I’m not really sure where does it come from. It might be the oil pump inner o-ring… I already saw that the valve cover gasket and cylinder head cap needs to be replaced and probably Have to replace the oil pan gasket, but this leak in particular is dripping all over my crankshaft sensor and all. Pics attached

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Lee AnnLee Ann

Finding leaks can be tricky. This should help get you started.
        http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/finding-and-fixing-leaks

RobRob
        Participant

Brake parts cleaner is your friend. It’s only a couple of dollars for an aerosol can, you’ll need 1 or 2.

Raise and block (jack stand) the car or drive it onto ramps if you have. Get a large drain pan or large/thick piece of card board and slide it under the car in the area of the leak.

Spray the affected area with the brake parts cleaner (Neoprene gloves, face shield or goggles at least). The brake parts cleaner will ‘cut’ the oil and wash it off of the parts. It is VERY thin fluid, so be prepared – wear old clothes. No need to be concerned overly about spraying hot parts (it is flammable, but will need a naked flame or spark to ignite), just try to avoid rubber parts as best you can (serpentine belt). Spray from the sop down for greatest effect, use compressed air nozzle to ‘chase’ the brake parts cleaner if you have access.

Get it as clean as you can, it need not be perfect but as best as you can. Be sure all of the brake clean has evaporated or you’ve blown it dry with compressed air.

Start the car and observe, try to spot the leak at it’s highest point, that’ll be the source – possibly the crank sensor itself or that black box on the side of the block? Don’t rev the engine up while you’re observing for the leak, windage from the accessory drive pulleys will push the leak all over the engine, confusing the issue.

EmmanuelEmmanuel
          Participant

I’ll take a good look during this week, thanks! I’ll keep u posted.

EmmanuelEmmanuel
            Participant

Hi guys. I cleaned the engine today and it’s looking good. When I started the car I noticed it didn’t start as always, so I checked the battery, the alternator and now the car won’t even crank. Since it’s manual, I tried pushing it and it did turn on, the I shut it off and tried again, and it didn’t turn on… Then I found a loose (maybe broken) cable and I don’t know what it is.. Maybe you guys know where did it come from. Pics ahead.

EmmanuelEmmanuel
              Participant

Hi guys. I cleaned the engine today and it’s looking good. When I started the car I noticed it didn’t start as always, so I checked the battery, the alternator and now the car won’t even crank. Since it’s manual, I tried pushing it and it did turn on, then I shut it off and tried again, and it didn’t turn on… Then I found a loose (maybe broken) cable and I don’t know what it is.. Maybe you guys know where did it come from. Pics ahead.

RobRob
                Participant

You’ve got battery negative cable off of the battery?

There are terminal repair kits on both terminals. It seems fairly clear that the cable has broken away from either the positive or negative post from the repair kits.

Closer examination of the broken wire and the back side of the battery terminal repair kits would likely find a match.

Find a decent shop and have them make a good quality repair. A car audio shop might be a solution as they generally have access to quality wire crimps and tools that will be necessary .

EmmanuelEmmanuel
                  Participant

Hi. i really took a great view into the battery terminals, thiugh it seems clearly that it came out of there, threre are no signs at all of the rest of the cable. The other end of the misterious cable is in a relay attatched right next to the battery.

RobRob
                    Participant

Does the car have an aftermarket alarm installed on it? Could be a starter lockout relay.

EmmanuelEmmanuel
                      Participant

[quote=”theraymondguy” post=144192]Does the car have an aftermarket alarm installed on it? Could be a starter lockout relay.[/quote]

Yes, it has an aftermarket alarm.

MarcusMarcus
                        Participant

Did you ever find the source or the leak? Was it underneath the timing cover? Oil pump perhaps?
                          Thanks in advance!!!

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…