Menu

hyundai santa fe alternator issues

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here hyundai santa fe alternator issues

• Creator
    Topic
    dandim23dandim23
    Participant

I have an 04 hyundai santa fe 2.7 v6 new alternator new battery…for some reason every morning i go out 2 start it the battery is dead and it has 2 get jumped everyday it is very annoying..the new alternator has been tested and came back good…something is killing the battery overnight…never had any electrical issues with this car ever until now…any help from anyone would be much appreciated thanks!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      twiggytwiggy
      Participant

You probably have some leakage draining your battery overnight. The link below is from another thread on this site where there are many excellent suggestions on how to find the parasitic draw on your battery.

[url=http://www.ericthecarguy.com/forum/topics.aspx?ID=112:qaty1m1m]http://www.ericthecarguy.com/forum/topics.aspx?ID=112

K[/url]eep us posted on what you find and good luck.

TonisherTonisher
        Participant

I would take the battery to your local parts store and have them check the battery out. The battery may be getting old and its probably not hold a charge. I would start with the simple stuff first. Then check out twiggy link, great info on the video.

let us know what you find, keep us posted

dandim23dandim23
          Participant

im with twiggy something has 2 be draining the battery over night because the battery is brand new it wouldnt just go dead overnight like that…..it just makes no sense this car never had any electrical related issues until after the alternator was replaced…by the way it was replaced because the old alternator seized…all the issues started after this new alternator was put in…i took the car for a drive and under hard acceleration the brake and battery light flash so i double checked all the connections there all snug and the belt is tight…im starting 2 suspect maybe the voltage regulator is faulty?

ShirokumaShirokuma
            Participant

Most electronics need a solid ground connection to work properly. Check your ground connection(s) on the alternator. What is written in the vehicle manual about a flashing battery light? Can you get a voltmeter to read the battery voltage?

Jeff

dandim23dandim23
              Participant

let me rephrase that its not a flash its more of a flicker under hard acceleration at higher rpms…when the car is idiling or under normal acceleration the brake light and battery light do not come on or flicker at all…i checked the ground it is good…like i said maybe a faulty voltage regulator? oh and when the brake light and battery light are illuminated it means the alternator is not charging the system

twiggytwiggy
                Participant

I think if don’t have one now you should get a DVM that can measure both voltage and current. They aren’t that expensive.

Then you can measure the voltage the alternator/voltage regulator is putting out by measuring battery voltage while your car is running.

Eric has a great video on how to do this just search on his website.

619DioFan619DioFan
                  Participant

Since you just replaced the batt and alternator and then the probs started I would start there. I have seen new batts come off the shelf with a bad cell so get the new batt load tested. also the ” new ” alternator ( I am assuming a rebuilt unit ) could be bad. have it tested as well.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                    Keymaster

Quoted From twiggy02919:

You probably have some leakage draining your battery overnight. The link below is from another thread on this site where there are many excellent suggestions on how to find the parasitic draw on your battery.

[url=http://www.ericthecarguy.com/forum/topics.aspx?ID=112:1bzgkr24]http://www.ericthecarguy.com/forum/topics.aspx?ID=112

K[/url]eep us posted on what you find and good luck.

Parasitic draw is what it sounds like to me, follow the steps and see what you come up with.

Keymaster

OK so the link didn’t work but perhaps you could use these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFCT-YZb … re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho5oEwSPWCA

I’m actually hoping to make a video on this myself in the near future.

dandim23dandim23
                        Participant

well here is my results…..i just tested the alternator with the car running….i am getting 12.2-11.39v…but it should be around 14.4-14.6 so faulty voltage regulator?…just my luck this alternator was just put in a month ago and now it needs to be replaced already…I still do wanna do a parasitic draw test also just incase thanks a lot for the help everyone i apprciate it greatly!

twiggytwiggy
                          Participant

You may have a faulty voltage regulator but if your DVM can measure current you should pull the wire off the positive terminal of your battery and put the DVM in current setting in series between the. Positive terminal of the battery and the wire to rule out any leakage that could be loading things down and possibly damaging the alternator and or regulator.

Keymaster

I would check the battery first as a parasidic draw can kill a battery. If your battery isn’t any good then the charging system has to do double work to keep up.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                              Participant

Did you check the field circuit of the Alternator? An alternator wont produce power is the field circuit is inoperative.

Is the Battery light or ALT light showing on the instrument cluster while the vehicle is running?

dandim23dandim23
                                Participant

i plan on doing a parasitic draw test tomarrow just to be safe…and when when the car is running the battery light and ALT light do not come on they just flicker under heavy acceleration…thanks for all your help everyone!

3SheetsDiesel3SheetsDiesel
                                  Participant

Since you’re only seeing battery voltage when the car is running, it might be a faulty alternator. I’ve learned over the years that new does not necessarily equal good. Something else you may want to check, if it starts right up when yhou jump it, is to make sure that both battery cables are tight on the battery posts. I’ve seen it on more than one occasion where one of them will be a little loose, so it’s giving a poor connection, but when it gets touched withjumper cables it makes a better connection and the vehicle starts.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…