Menu

My Favorite tools

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk My Favorite tools

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

I love my snap on wrenches, they just ‘feel’ good but I would have to say that one of my all time favorites is my torch set as they have gotten me out of more jams than anything. I’m sure I’ll come up with more stuff too but those are the first ones I could think of.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      AndyAndy
      Participant

mine has to be my vice grips… i haven’t got a lot of tools but when i can’t find the spanner/wrench it always comes in handy… i need more tools S:(

Anonymous

Eric do you have the Snap-on flank drive plus wrenches or the regular flank drive? I just aquired an old (70’s-ish) set of Snap-on wrenches 6mm-19mm and don’t find them that much better than the Craftsman Professional series wrenches. Now the Snap-on dual 80 ratchet I just got cheap on e-bay is awesome!!! My most used wrench set however is probably my gearwrenches. I don’t know how I ever lived without them.

When I recently started working on my own car again I needed alot of tools quickly so I hit Harbor Freight and for the most part all my HF stuff has been OK, Now I mostly scan flea markets, Craigslist or e-bay for bargians on used higher quality tools. I’m still concerned that not working in a shop, if I ever have to get warranty replacement on any of my truck brand tools I’m going to have a hard time.

For screwdirvers is there a particular brand you prefer? Those Snap-on Instincts seem to be raved about all the time as being far superior to anything out there, but even used they seem to be ridiulously expensive for a screw diver.

jbonejbone
          Participant

My fav tool is actually my brain…

KLFERKLFER
            Participant

+1 on the torch Eric that is a must have for sure. +1 on the racheting wrenches also. I really love my Snap-on impact universal joints w/lock pins 1/2 and 3/8. Love my impact guns IR titaniums QTs and all my air tools just not as much as my impacts. Fluke

AndyAndy
              Participant

the best tool so far has to be the videos eric makes and knowing the job before you start …. great motivation aswell…. every time i watch a video makes me want to get out and fix my own car V-)T)

Jay SchneiderJay Schneider
                Participant

Hey Eric,

Do you ever use a digital scope to diagnose engine management problems? I’ve seen some educational videos were they say it’s the only way to track down some PCM electronic control problems.

rice400rice400
                  Participant

I just started my auto tech program today at school. Got my Mac tools ordered, 60% off. Cant wait to get them dirty.

Peace.

KLFERKLFER
                    Participant

Digital Oscilloscopes are very spendy. good DVOM have the funtion built in along with scan tools. plus they do so much more then a Digital Oscilloscopes.

KLFERKLFER
                      Participant

Quoted From harfo88

the best tool so far has to be the videos eric makes and knowing the job before you start …. great motivation aswell…. every time i watch a video makes me want to get out and fix my own car V-)T)

Thats true and untrue! You can watch his videos until your blue in the face but until you have tools you will never accomplish anything. With that being said, what is your favorite tool? T)

TuwakanTuwakan
                        Participant

Quoted From harfo88:

It has motivated me to learn to fix up cars 😛 plus it’ll save me money and give me something to do!

KLFERKLFER
                          Participant

Tuwakan I think thats awesome. Working on cars and saving money is great. But we want to know what tool is your favorite when working on your car. Everyone one knows thats Erics videos are great tools. What we dont know is what YOUR favorite tool is for wrenching on your car. BTW you responded to harfo88 quote wrong thats why i was unable to respond to your quote. lol

MattMatt
                            Participant

Quoted From jbone:

Excellent point sir, EXCELLENT point. If you don’t have the brain to use a 500 dollar dvom, the tool is useless.

TexasCoderTexasCoder
                              Participant

Quoted From jbone:

Right On! T)

Next in line for me is my pocket screwdriver, I am with Eric on that one. It is my 11th finger!

kiall1987kiall1987
                                Participant

Power probe 3 is high on my list . Brilliant tool though I would like a protective boot for it . They make a protective boot for the 1 and 2 but not the three

sergio correasergio correa
                                  Participant

my best tool is my launch diagun scanner

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…