Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • new clutch install, car wont move now

new clutch install, car wont move now

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here new clutch install, car wont move now

• Creator
    Topic
    watcher902watcher902
    Participant

Hi guys, i recently installed a clutch in my 04 neon srt4 and im having bad results.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      watcher902watcher902
      Participant

It is an oem replacement, Sachs unit.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

Sounds like the trans is going to have to come back out so that you can inspect the clutch and pressure plate, anytime you have an issue after doing work like that the first step is to go back and check the work. I’m not sure of the clutch linkage set up on that but if it’s hydraulic you might want to check that before you remove the trans but if you don’t find anything there you’re going to have to remove the trans again.

johnzcarzjohnzcarz
          Participant

Any chance that the clutch is actually working OK but the shift linkage got screwed up? That may explain the grinding in ‘neutral’.

johnzcarzjohnzcarz
            Participant

Sounds like the pressure plate isn

watcher902watcher902
              Participant

Thanks for replying.

The clutch assembly is sealed (modular clutch) and bolts to the “flexplate” only one way so im sure that is correct.

I do hear “strange sounds” when i stop the car without pushing the clutch in (while up on jack stands) it grinds a little and yet does not stall the engine.

I can see the slave cylinder moving and strangely enough the clutch pedal feels like it should.

I have researched this heavily and the clutch fork wears thin where the throw-out bearing resides, but i have repaired the fork with no resolution. Its got me stumped. .

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                Participant

Does it grind when you try to shift into gear when the engine is running without using the clutch?

Did you have to open up the hydraulic system of the clutch?

How does the vehicle act when its in a high gear on the floor and you try to move? Stalls? High RPM’s? Grinding?

Its sounding like an installation issue. You may have to remove the transmission and recheck your work.

watcher902watcher902
                  Participant

Quoted From dreamer2355:

Does it grind when you try to shift into gear when the engine is running without using the clutch?

Did you have to open up the hydraulic system of the clutch?

How does the vehicle act when its in a high gear on the floor and you try to move? Stalls? High RPM’s? Grinding?

Its sounding like an installation issue. You may have to remove the transmission and recheck your work.

well I never tried to shift it into gear without using the clutch. It only grinds when I have the car running and apply the breaks without pushing the clutch in. the car doesn’t stall and it grinds at this point.

I did not have to open the hydraulic system at all. The slave cylinder twist’s out without any issues.

When the vehicle is on the floor and i let the clutch out it just sits there. I did not take it to high rpms.

I pulled the transmission back out on Saturday morning, and im researching as much as i can to prevent having to do this all over again.

justinc25justinc25
                    Participant

Just out of curiosity was this an oe clutch, or aftermarket ?

Possibly the wrong pressure plate ?

watcher902watcher902
                      Participant

a better detail :

If i put the car in gear and let out on the clutch while the car is up on jack stands, both of the front wheels move as they should. When i stop without pushing the clutch in that is when the grinding noise starts.

If the car is on the ground and i let out on the clutch, the car will just sit there and not move at all.

the clutch pedal feels completely normal, and i can shift without any issues.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                        Participant

I’m wondering if the clutch disc is on backwards?

Either way, it sounds like you need to pull the transmission again.

watcher902watcher902
                          Participant

it is a modular clutch meaning that the clutch is sealed. There is no putting it in wrong. it only bolts one way to the flexplate.

ytramytram
                            Participant

That is wild!
                              Is your input shaft in to the tranny broke?

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                              Participant

Either way, modular clutch or not, the transmission has to be removed. He may or may not have a defective unit.

If the vehicle was shafting fine prior to installation or was able to be driven whether the clutch was slipping or not, and now the vehicle will not move at all, the issue is with the workmanship or the clutch set itself.

Doesn’t SACH’s have an aftermarket tech line?

watcher902watcher902
                                Participant

the transmission is out of the car.

watcher902watcher902
                                  Participant

The vehicle was not shifting prior to the tear down. It would not go into any gear. I have researched this and it can be due to a worn clutch fork which was worn, and repaired. when put back together still nothing. I have had this trans out 3 times and each time its the same issue. I starting to believe the clutch itself or the transmission is broken.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…