Menu

Repair Jobs You Dislike Doing?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only Repair Jobs You Dislike Doing?

• Creator
    Topic
    dreamer2355dreamer2355
    Participant

Hey all,

So what jobs do you dislike to do when it comes to repair a said customers vehicle?

The main one i am not a fan of doing is Alignments. For me, they can be very frustrating particularly living in the rust belt where 80% of the time, your reaching for the torch… Ugh.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      SpawnedXSpawnedX
      Participant

[quote=”dreamer2355″ post=32555]Hey all,

So what jobs do you dislike to do when it comes to repair a said customers vehicle?

The main one i am not a fan of doing is Alignments. For me, they can be very frustrating particularly living in the rust belt where 80% of the time, your reaching for the torch… Ugh.[/quote]

Anything being paid for by warranty.

I like alignments, because I am at a dealership and I usually only work on new cars, so no rust. They pay very well. I hate exhaust work, because those flanges start rusting before they are even welded to the exhaust components at the suppliers factory.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

Warranty work for sure but personally I’m not a fan of working on German cars. Because they are so ‘well made’ I feel that makes them more of a challenge to work on. It seems that many German cars are made for the driver and not the technician. Sooo many fasteners of different sizes and types, it seems I need my entire tool box to do an oil change sometimes.

I will say that VW is something of an exception to this but they have their own issues.

Matthew John RooneyMatthew John Rooney
          Participant

I have to say I particularly dislike power steering issues they just sometimes can jus be quite bothersome as well as heater cores I might be saying the because I have had to do quite a few of these in the last few weeks but none the less they are troublesome

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

I don’t like the smell of differential oil, I don’t mind the work but I almost have to hold my nose and goto a happy place in my mind when I do that work.

sig061sig061
              Participant

Power steering lines! God they can suck! Even when you think they’re all lined up.. they never want to thread in. I really hate bending the larger lines.

Differential fluid stinks.. Literally!

VW.. Worst plastics ever. Hard as a rock and guaranteed to break. All of which will be in the way of whatever accessory you’re trying to replace. &… & nothing like removing a bolt to replace a starter and Quickly learning that the bolt is about a foot long and also supports a motor mount. Obviously never designed to be repaired on the side of the road..

Col .Mantras=--=Col.Mantras=-
                Participant

I hate doing fuel and brake lines. This is only an issue in climates that require salt in the winter. Rots them right through on most cars in about 10 years. Replacing any fluid lines suck here where rust is a major factor.

I didn’t mind alignments because so many of todays cars have only toe adjustment.

Warranty work really has taken a turn for the worse in the last 5 years or so. Getting paid less than half retail to replace some poorly manufactured component. It’s one of the largest reasons I left the dealership environment. It leaves NO room for quality. Replacing short blocks due to block porosity or re-ringing pistons on a car less than 2 years old for peanuts is not my idea of a decent living.

The plastics on modern cars are a fragile hopeless joke as well.

toyodagregtoyodagreg
                  Participant

I agree with the warranty work at dealerships. Toyota for example. the 2gr-fe v6 engines water pumps leak alot. toyota says you gotta pull the motor and they will pay around 3 hours. sometimes i feel like asking them to show me how you can do it in that short of time.

JoshMcJoshMc
                    Participant

The worst for me is the one I see most of the time. The job that someone else started but had no clue what they were getting into. I get a call from someone saying ” Hey Josh, how much would you charge me to change a clutch?” I give them a quote and in a few hours the vehicle gets towed in with parts all through the trunk and a 5 gallon bucket full of bolts and pieces. Then it’s my job to imagine how to put everything back together and it never fails that there is more to the story than I was told. I have learned over the years to never give an exact price when I quote a job. I always leave room for adding in for the unexpected.

Jonathan WeaverJonathan Weaver
                      Participant

I honestly don’t like doing any job in which theowner or customer has done damage to the engine due to street racing or doing things they shouldnt be doing to an engine. I dixed one guys 1998 Trans AM LS1. He busted a push rod and I replaced it at well below what iw oul charge other people due to him being a good friend. 2 weeks later,he brought it to me again. He told me he was again racing. I opened up the valve covers and found not only was another rod broken, but the 2 rocker arms had broken as well. Idk if Im willing to fix it a third time if it happens again. 😛

blacK20blacK20
                        Participant

I hate fixing anything that has to do with seats. Ass warmers, power motors, cushions/covers, seat airbags, etc… I’m not sure what it is but everything tries to fight me on seat jobs. Whether it be a harness that isn’t routed right, or a seat cover clip that won’t reach/engage. Am I crazy?

Matt PerryMatt Perry
                          Participant

I do body electrical at my shop, so I’m okay with a lot of stuff, but I hate Hate HATE seat adjusters, headliners, and sun roofs. Especially if the car is old, dirty, stinky, or all three. Sadly, Chrysler’s seat adjusters on the new cars are absolute junk, and the customers are complaining left and right. The new part is often just as bad or worse than the old.

Not a big fan of drum brakes. I can do them, but since I do them so rarely I get rusty and forget some procedures, or I get paranoid about pedal feel even when it’s fine.

Getting real tired of doing trim work, especially exterior trim. Just send it to the damn body shop, where those guys are trained in that sort of thing and have the right tools.

DanielDaniel
                            Participant

DUMP TRUCKS AND CRANES!!!!!!!! I hate them. They’re always caked in dirt, mud, and oil. you need a damn crow’s foot for every hose on the things. To get anything apart you gotta torque the hell outta it or beat the crap outta it with a hammer. End of the day you’re exhausted and covered with soot.

TylerTyler
                              Participant

i hate to do any type of body work

TylerTyler
                                Participant

[quote=”thisisbuod” post=38234]DUMP TRUCKS AND CRANES!!!!!!!! I hate them. They’re always caked in dirt, mud, and oil. you need a damn crow’s foot for every hose on the things. To get anything apart you gotta torque the hell outta it or beat the crap outta it with a hammer. End of the day you’re exhausted and covered with soot.[/quote]
                                  Those are the best things to work on

fordrangerfordranger
                                  Participant

id agree with Eric i hate Germans.i also cannot stand the traverse do an oil change on those real fun when you have 15 minutes to do it and it takes 20 to the filter:angry:

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…