Menu

Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?

• Creator
    Topic
    pcmdjasonpcmdjason
    Participant

I watch his videos from time to time but I wonder if he’s really doing them because he likes making videos or because he’s taking money to sell a product?

He likes to do a lot of local news stuff and he seems to have mostly one sentence fix-its for any kind of question.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 124 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      ClicknClackClicknClack
      Participant

lmao yeah he recently changed it to a Mustang, I liked the bike better.

I’m still subscribed to Scotty and probably always will be. He answers just about every question he’s asked, so you can’t hate him for that. His videos are a little short and obviously his philosophy about the length of videos is a little odd…..The longer the video the better IMO. When I see a new ETCG video that’s 30 minutes long I get excited as hell

TasogareTasogare
        Participant

I’m subscribed to Scotty Kilmer – and I have to say his videos are quite informative.

What I find that people forget is that – while both Eric and Scotty’s videos are informative – they’re not catch-alls. With tens of makes over scores of models over decades of years and untold number of conditions, there’s no way a visualized repair would exactly fit everybody. Those that usually complain are those that take thier knowledge as gospel, or those that already had a shaky hand on the situation taking thier advice and running with it.

With thier advice comes a measure of your own expertise and understanding – as well as a fair bit of research on your part. In one specific case, one of Scotty’s videos had him changing a crank angle sensor that was on top of the engine. Easy I bet – but in my Mitsubishi, its behind the timing cover and crank pulley. You have to take both of those off, and it makes the job 10 times more difficult. Sure, I can gripe and say ‘you made it look easy’, but that’s not my car. In the end, common sense rules the day.

Shaun_300Shaun_300
          Participant

I came across one of Scotty’s videos last night and watched a few on his channel. Some were pretty good but like others have said they can be pretty vauge, like the clutch video and engine swap video. Basically unbolt everything and pull it out kind of thing without showing much detail on anything. Had to chuckle when I watched the Ford truck intake gasket replacement. He said it’s very important to torque them to specs and in sequence, 25lb in first and 89lb in the second pass, then he pulls the 1/2″ torque wrench with a reducer onto the 8mm socket or whatever size the puny intake bolts are. Needless to say it just showed him putting the torque wrench on 1 bolt then the frame ended in the video.

MattMatt
            Participant

I’ve found that I’ve been blocked by Scotty for posting comments like along the lines of, ‘Shouldn’t you point out that you can be killed by half-@ssing that job?’. That dude is a JOKE.

TheAreteTheArete
              Participant

Scotty does know his stuff, and some of his vid’s are helpful… But as was mentioned… He’s got a very different take on what an automotive video should be. Eric the Car guy, MOTORZ, briansmobile, Scotty all have different and unique ways of going about it. I’m biased… I saw Eric’s videos first and I like to research, read and get down and dirty by being thorough. Scottys the anathema to that.

We do have to keep in mind, that the guy is trying to help even if we don’t dig his methods or think he is a shill, we have to respect the attempt.
                Although i BUSTED put laughing when he poured that can in… Yep cause that’ll solve the problem by throwing quickfix remedies at it.

Though if we’re going to talk exploitive advertising lets talk MOTORZ. Love these vids and guys but my God… Selling E3 plugs much, and Sears tools? One guy asked where to get a cheap set of tools and he actually said “head to your local sears dealer”… Somehow I don’t think the person was talking about buying new Sears tools.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                Participant

Quoted From TheArete:

Scotty does know his stuff, and some of his vid’s are helpful… But as was mentioned… He’s got a very different take on what an automotive video should be. Eric the Car guy, MOTORZ, briansmobile, Scotty all have different and unique ways of going about it. I’m biased… I saw Eric’s videos first and I like to research, read and get down and dirty by being thorough. Scottys the anathema to that.

We do have to keep in mind, that the guy is trying to help even if we don’t dig his methods or think he is a shill, we have to respect the attempt.
                  Although i BUSTED put laughing when he poured that can in… Yep cause that’ll solve the problem by throwing quickfix remedies at it.

Though if we’re going to talk exploitive advertising lets talk MOTORZ. Love these vids and guys but my God… Selling E3 plugs much, and Sears tools? One guy asked where to get a cheap set of tools and he actually said “head to your local sears dealer”… Somehow I don’t think the person was talking about buying new Sears tools.

You should also check out ScannerDanner’s channel. He is one of my favorites.

TheAreteTheArete
                  Participant

Holy Craps Dreamer… This channel is fantastic! I have exactly almost sorta zero electrical know-how and so this will be a great source of info and entertainment. Much appreciated, you sir are both a Gentleman and a Scholar.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                    Participant

Quoted From TheArete:

Holy Craps Dreamer… This channel is fantastic! I have exactly almost sorta zero electrical know-how and so this will be a great source of info and entertainment. Much appreciated, you sir are both a Gentleman and a Scholar.

Yep, his channel is in my eyes for more advanced repairs when it comes to electrical diagnosis.
                      He is a very smart guy and is very detailed on his trouble shooting steps.

The only aspect i would not recommend doing (just yet) is testing for PCM driver output without a scan tool as if you do that wrong, well, what a mess you will have C8-)

03AP103AP1
                      Participant

Is it me or does Scotty ALWAYS go under the cars with just a jack. I am surprised I am the only one who noticed. Hes very informative, but not very thorough. He also does some “half ass” fixes in a video or two. Either way I am subbed to him and enjoy watching his videos either way. His intros do get annoying at times.

ytramytram
                        Participant

I just love Scotty’s $hit eating grin!

PirateVR6PirateVR6
                          Participant

lol i noticed the jack thing as well…. i think he’s kinda odd he reminds me of timon from the lion king. some of his videos are helpful tough it doesn’t really matter i guess…. TEAM ERIC!

Anonymous

scottys videos can be a little vague, but i like them. his videos are better for people that have some IDEA of what they are doing, but they just need a shove in the right direction. the quality of his videos are great but short. But he sure does have a whole lot of little tricks up his sleeve that may help you. Erics videos are better but you cant really compare them. they are two DIFFERENT TYPES of channels. Eric and scotty are my favorites. they are just different

Sang Kimskim3544
                              Participant

Scotty does not go into any detail – you can get useful tips here & there but nothing that would help you do the complete job. Also some are questionable – his clutch job video makes it looks like super easy but in reality it is not. He makes things look way too easy and the videos are way too short.

johnzcarzjohnzcarz
                                Participant

I respect all these guys who take the time and document how to fix cars. But it’s up to the viewer to use good judgment as to whether they feel comfortable doing the stuff and if it makes sense to do it that way or not.

I enjoy Scotty’s videos, even though there are a lot of things he does that I would not do – like removing a catalytic converter and soaking it in laundry detergent, or wiring power to the A/C compressor through a toggle switch on the dash – but maybe others think that’s OK so to each his own.

I do agree that his videos are short leaving out a lot of detail (his engine swap video is about 2 minutes….I wish!). That’s one of the things I like best about Eric’s video’s is he doesn’t leave out the parts where things get ‘interesting’. Automotive repair are seldom as easy as just following steps 1, 2, and 3 and it’s good to see even the pro’s having the same problems you and I have.

Bad_dudeBad_dude
                                  Participant

I like videos from both but I find myself watching Scotty’s videos many times more before I can start any job. He’s always in a rush and speak so fast. But very exciting though. Eric’s videos are more laid back and relax so I usually get it the first time.

Thanks.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 124 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…