Menu

Trnasmission problems

• Creator
    Topic
    Jhowe93Jhowe93
    Participant

I’m back with yet another problem.

Yesterday, i went to the store to pick some things up, when i pulled out into traffic the trans(auto) went into 1st gear untill 4k rpm, then slammed into 2nd, went to 3.5k rpm then slammed into 3rd. went back into 2nd, then into 4th. the oil was LOW, so i put some in. then i went for a drive and it suddenly downshifted into 1st right around the 5k rpm mark. the trans only has 59k miles on it (i know, its 29k over due for service) but i should not be buring trans fliud at only 59k. and i cant afford anything until the 25th.

Edit: i can manually shift 1&2, but it jars the truck when going into drive or reverse.

1994 ford f-150, xlt, 5.8l, 2wd, eod4 transmission. 213k miles on truck, 59k miles on trans.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dreamer2355dreamer2355
      Participant

How does the fluid look? Do you have any signs of leaks?

I would consider a transmission filter change and new fluid and see if the problem persists. If it does, it might be time for a rebuild unfortunately.

Make sure you are using Ford OEM specified fluid for that vehicle too.

Jhowe93Jhowe93
        Participant

the fluid is pink with bubbles. i know it needs to be serviced. but i did not know that it would burn fluid. at only 59k miles. i cant find any sign of leaking. and i am using a ford trans fluid. i know how picky fords are about chemicals.

MattMatt
          Participant

I wouldn’t think the truck would really ‘burn’ fluid, but if it got really low, it may have drawn some material into the filter and clogged it. I would check your coolant and see if it is dirty with trans fluid if the trans cooler is integrated with the radiator. If so, and the trans cooler element of the radiator is leaking into the cooling system, you have some work ahead of you. If it’s separate, then I would drop the pan, replace the filter, refill the tranny, and go from there.

Matt BrandsemaMatt Brandsema
            Participant

Beefy has some good suggestions. Did the fluid have bubbles before you filled it more? Bubbles in the fluid is a sign of over-filling.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
              Keymaster

If the fluid has bubbles in it it’s either still low on fluid or there is an internal issue inside the transmission. An auto trans works on hydraulic pressure, when air gets into the system it will not work properly because the air compresses, trans fluid does not therefore the transmission will not operate correctly till the air is out of the system, if you know the system is full and you still have air then you will need to replace the transmission or have the transmission rebuilt.

Jhowe93Jhowe93
                Participant

i just had the radiator replaced and i replaced the thermostat about 3k miles after that, no sign of trans fluid in the coolant. i did notice that the trans only acts up when its warm. meaning i can drive for about 10 min before it craps out. i will check the fluid tomorrow to see bubbles. there where none that i could see before hand. and how would i drain the trans to get the pan off. i cat see any drain plug.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                  Participant

If your looking to drop the transmission pan, loosen the bolts until fluid starts to seep out. Then loosen the bolts more ONLY on one side of the pan which should tilt the pan allowing the fluid to drain easier.

MattMatt
                    Participant

Eric’s vid on a full size Chevy auto trans. The principles should be the same. No drain plug, ‘cuz they cost too much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmp_CTX5jsE

Good luck man.

Keymaster

Quoted From Beefy:

Eric’s vid on a full size Chevy auto trans. The principles should be the same. No drain plug, ‘cuz they cost too much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmp_CTX5jsE

Good luck man.

Thanks Beefy.

Once again check the fluid level and condition before you drop the pan, you don’t want to waste your time and money on parts that won’t fix the problem, a fluid and filter change is not likely to fix a slipping problem.

Jhowe93Jhowe93
                        Participant

ok, so iv’e been told not to do a flush on it. ive got air in the system but it no longer acts up. (i just drove it 20 miles without a problem) but now its throwing a speed sensor code and a trans separator circuit code. am i safe to get the service or no. i can do the other 2 but i need to know if changing the fluid will make it into a paper weight

Keymaster

I think it already is a paper weight, if the fluid level is correct and you have air in it the transmission can not function properly. There could be a problem with the transmission that’s causing the air to be introduced into the system and it will only be a matter of time before the clutches start to slip and burn up as a result of the air in the system.

Jhowe93Jhowe93
                            Participant

ok, took it to ford, they said the trans is fine, (the one thing that wont kill a ford trans, lol) they replaced my speed censor and the trans shifts fine now, but the speedometer wont read past 50Mph. they say i need a new Instrument cluster(i found a used one for $75). could there be anything else im not finding?

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
                              Participant

Quoted From Jhowe93:

ok, took it to ford, they said the trans is fine, (the one thing that wont kill a ford trans, lol) they replaced my speed censor and the trans shifts fine now, but the speedometer wont read past 50Mph. they say i need a new Instrument cluster(i found a used one for $75). could there be anything else im not finding?

Try some local junk yards too, maybe they will have a cluster cheaper.

JDM_Hatch99JDM_Hatch99
                                Participant

Good to hear that it wasn’t your trans. Much heaped fix. And you can buy a heaper cluster at different junk yards or eBay.

MattMatt
                                  Participant

I had an older Taurus that had cluster issues. My current ’91 F150 is similar as far as the speedo goes. It starts bouncing around past 60mph. In my experience, it’s a common issue with Fords. I’d swap it with a scrap-yard unit with a warranty as suggested, and hopefully that fixes ya up.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…