Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Video suggestion – oil consumption.

Video suggestion – oil consumption.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG Suggestion Box Video suggestion – oil consumption.

• Creator
    Topic
    Rick CropperRick Cropper
    Participant

Oil consumption seems to be a huge issue with older vehicles in general.

Specifically with Japanese engines it seems to be mostly due to oil control ring carbon buildup. We do a LOT of re-rings on Subaru – very successfuly. I’ve seen the tendency for newer engines to have thinner rings and smaller drain back holes in the piston skirts. I’ve seen the Toyota guys (on a corolla) actually drill the holes out larger.

Synthetic oils mitigate this problem. Conventional and especially with long drain intervals aggravate the situation.

Maybe touch on valve stem seals? Smoke on startup or after idling. Older American V8’s….

Turbocharger shaft seals….

Determining the source?

What’s been you experience?

Jut an idea for a discussion on the subject and possible courses of action. I think people would find it interesting and helpful.

Also the “old wives tale” of honing cylinders for proper ring seating. In my experience that’s an awful idea. I’m referring to the “bottle brush” style “glaze breaking” practice of violently removing metal from the cylinder walls basically at random and depositing a healthy amount of grinding compounds in the process.

Rick

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

Thanks for the suggestion. I don’t necessarily have a video yet, but I put this article together covering this topic.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/finding-and-fixing-leaks

Leon AlexanderLeon Alexander
        Participant

Eric, may just be me, but the link doesn’t seem to work, it just goes to the homepage. Also clicking the leaks circle link on the homepage also seems to just take you back to the homepage. I’ll test this a bit more and take further action from there (email, topic in the appropriate section, or something of that nature).

StephenStephen
          Participant

I have been intending to put together a video series on this topic, since I haven’t seen many good videos on the topic, but so far I have only been able to put out a video on PCV valves. There is quite a lot to cover on oil consumption!

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

[quote=”Xander” post=179366]Eric, may just be me, but the link doesn’t seem to work, it just goes to the homepage. Also clicking the leaks circle link on the homepage also seems to just take you back to the homepage. I’ll test this a bit more and take further action from there (email, topic in the appropriate section, or something of that nature).[/quote]

Give this one a try. These are all on the FAQ pages BTW.

https://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/finding-and-fixing-leaks/finding-and-fixing-fluid-leaks

Leon AlexanderLeon Alexander
              Participant

Fascinating, that one doesn’t seem to work (for me) either. I don’t particularly need it. As a web dev it’s just a drive in me to inspect things and make sure they work, much like checking fluids and whatnot during general auto maintenance. I did send an email to the support covering this page and a few others on the homepage I found not working. All the ones in the top nav seem to be fine though. The find leaks link that works for me (from the nav) is: [url=”https://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/finding-and-fixing-leaks/finding-and-fixing-leaks”]https://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/finding-and-fixing-leaks/finding-and-fixing-leaks
                [/url]

Thanks for the quick response though!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…