Menu

Marvel Mystery Oil

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Marvel Mystery Oil

• Creator
    Topic
    chevyazchevyaz
    Participant

What do you guys think of this product? I just put it in my tank when I fill up. Seems to work ok for me. I dont put it in the crankcase.Just the fuel tank.

Viewing 12 replies - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      DaveDave
      Participant

Stuff’s a myth. Anyone who takes the time to confirm what I just said will agree.

I wouldn’t go that far until I’ve seen data. Data rules; experience drools.

And looking at the ingredients, I don’t see how it could do what it claims it can do. But then again, I don’t have data. If there was data that showed that the mineral oil, solvents and lard will do what it’s says it would do, I may buy it.

Then again, at what $5 or so a pint, I’m not sure it’s worth it even if its claims are true.

Unfortunately, the only thing available as far as proof are testimonials for this product. And like I said way above, I can market my lucky rabbit’s foot that increases gas mileage in May and get plenty of testimonials that it works because people don’t understand coincidence: rabbit’s foot increases gas mileage in the Summer when it’s really other factors.

SpawnedXSpawnedX
        Participant

[quote=”dcrond” post=41491]

Stuff’s a myth. Anyone who takes the time to confirm what I just said will agree.

I wouldn’t go that far until I’ve seen data. Data rules; experience drools.

And looking at the ingredients, I don’t see how it could do what it claims it can do. But then again, I don’t have data. If there was data that showed that the mineral oil, solvents and lard will do what it’s says it would do, I may buy it.

Then again, at what $5 or so a pint, I’m not sure it’s worth it even if its claims are true.

Unfortunately, the only thing available as far as proof are testimonials for this product. And like I said way above, I can market my lucky rabbit’s foot that increases gas mileage in May and get plenty of testimonials that it works because people don’t understand coincidence: rabbit’s foot increases gas mileage in the Summer when it’s really other factors.[/quote]

Do they above test that I quoted and you will have all the data you need. The law of averages will win out.

Jason Alexmckrishes
          Participant

[quote=”dcrond” post=41428][quote=”mckrishes” post=41160]Interesting discussion. For the skeptics: Is there proof that it does not work? For the believers: Is there proof that it does work?[/quote]

Prove that the Tooth Fairy doesn’t exist.

She’s given me money after all![/quote]

I don’t need to prove that the tooth fairy exists because I am not saying the tooth fairy doesn’t exist. But those who are saying that marvel mystery oil doesn’t work and is “snake oil” are just as obligated to give us the statistical data, research, etc. as those who claim it does. And if it’s available, I would like to read it.

celticbhoycelticbhoy
            Participant

So…….how bout them bears?

The unfortunate thing is that this argument will never go away. Some people will always dispute it and some will always tell you it’s the best product on the market. I am skeptical because there is no proof, and until I see proof, I’ll stay away from the stuff. There’s no such thing as a mechanic in a bottle. Agree to disagree.

Jason Alexmckrishes
              Participant

I agree, this argument will never go away. And I say this because of an article written by Fred Rau in Road Rider magazine (which is now motorcycle consumer news) in August of 1992. I’ll post it below.

I have learned some things though. All additives sold today are either snake oil and/or aren’t completely telling the truth. I believe that Marvel mystery oil works, but they are not truthful about their claims. These are their claims:

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/mmo/

Marvel mystery oil claims to clean engines of sludge, varnish, etc. and protects/lubricate the engine from scoring/wear. I believe that Marvel mystery oil does help clean engines, but do not believe that it protects/lubricates to the extent that it claims. Here is the full article (Specifically the section on detergents and solvents):

http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_additive.htm

The article basically says that additives, detergents are not needed for today’s engines and that regular convential oil (as recommended by the manufacturer) along with the recommended oil changes is all that’s needed to keep your car protected, although there is nothing wrong with synthetics.

Ralph AlmerigiRalph Almerigi
                Participant

I like the stuff. I use it all over the car and house. It smells nice.How can you go wrong. B) :cheer: 😛

JoshJosh
                  Participant

I debated about the pros and cons of adding this stuff for years. About 10 years ago, I decided to use it with every oil change on my Honda and I don’t know if its doing anything spectacular but my Honda has ran smooth ever since I bought it in 2000(70k miles ago). Everything else on the Honda has fallen apart but the engine sounds as good now as it did 13 years ago. I don’t know about adding it in with the fuel, though. My theory is anything that helps clean out the oil deposits in my engine will extend the life of my engine. 🙂 I do not use it on my 04 Toyota because I run full synthetic on it (hoping that full synthetic will do the same as conventional + MMO).

JoshJosh
                    Participant

Its funny how there is very little “data” to support ANY of the additives out there! Makes you wonder if any of them are any good. But something that has been around for some 80-odd years has to be doing something right :dry:

Michael SMichael S
                      Participant

I have a 2005 Camry XLE v6 purchased new, I was having a transmission hesitation issue from first to second this is an automatic transmission sometimes not all the time, it was driving me crazy, just by chance in put some Marvel Mystery oil in my gas tank around 6oz drove it the next day and no hesitation I don’t know how it would work on the trans adding it to the gas tank, but it did its a mystery to me.

Michael SMichael S
                        Participant

It works for me don’t care what’s in it, you must believe. It’s a Mystery how and why its works.

Michael SMichael S
                          Participant

The best.

Jim SJim Seekings
                            Participant

It is composed primarily of petroleum distillates, including mineral oil (60–100%), mineral spirits (10–30%), tricresyl phosphate (an antiwear and extreme pressure additive in lubricants, 0.1–1.0%), ortho-dichlorobenzene (a softening and removing agent for carbon-based contamination on metal surfaces, 0.1–1.0%), and para-dichlorobenzene (a precursor used in the production of chemically and thermally resistant polymers, <0.1%).

Viewing 12 replies - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Loading…