Menu

What was the last tool you bought?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk What was the last tool you bought?

• Creator
    Topic
    cedicolcedicol
    Participant

I bought a new floor jack of the trade mark Rodac. It’s a 3 Ton jack with a quick up pedal on it. I bought it very

Viewing 15 replies - 391 through 405 (of 419 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Alexander BAlexander B
      Participant

Special tools for the Renault K4M engine to replace the timing belt.

A (Bosch) diesel injector socket. Which I will from now on not really use ever again, the only engine I needed it for died and won’t be replaced..

Similar to this one.

Before then, a box of ratcheting wrenches, to fill the gap between not being able to fit a socket wrench and not wanting to repeatedly turn-lift-turn-lift-turn a regular wrench in a tight space. Quite pleased with these.

Still on my shopping list:
        -a tool cart, every time I go to Ikea and see this thing I get the itch to buy it, but that one is not tall or big enough for my taste.
        -a smaller torque wrench for that 10-40 nm range.
        -3/8 socket set, haven’t felt a real need, but it might be nice to have / might use it if I had it.
        -socket rails
        -a better angle gauge if I’m going to do more engines.
        -impact wrench, either electric, or pneumatic + a compressor upgrade.
        -maybe a better/bigger tool box? Its always too small, isn’t it? 😆
        -Still considering a box trailer to use as a mobile tool box / portable workshop, but I can’t really park it anywhere in my urban living environment.

Caleb StovallCaleb Stovall
        Participant

[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160924/2a7d1ca217aa161695c85c3259a4849d.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160924/f0dd051161b07a960990d774a8bc7204.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160924/076bc88f64fc7fd16978b765c3624875.jpg[/IMG]

Got an Ingersol Rand 231C 1/2 Impact Wrench
          A smaller more portable 26 gallon 1.5 HP power mate air compressor.
          (I don’t have a garage at the moment so my 60 gallon that I inherited from my father is in a storage shed :/)

Found a used Mac Tools 3/8 air ratchet on a good deal too.

I’m excited at the time and energy saving prospects these tools can provide.

ryleyryley
          Participant

I just picked up a Snap on 3/8 electric impact in their 14.4v series, with SAE/Metric Semi deep impact sockets, 3/8 electric ratchet, light, 11″ Side cutters.

I think that is enough tool spending, for this month and the next. Oh I also picked up a set of MAC 1/2 impact socket set used for $140. (New in package tho.)

ryleyryley
            Participant

I got a kit/deal, $750. it came with the impact, semi deeps sockets, the bright light, 3/8 electric ratchet, two batteries, charger.

just that impact is $429.99 off the truck. I am not liking the ratchet, but the semi deeps sockets are nice. that impact has a good amount of power, I use it for brake jobs on cars, and other small jobs. Keep in mind I am in a semi rust belt area, the cars stay in good shape for a long time.(around 15 years.) I like how small it is, with the power it packs. that is only reason I spent that much on it.

Participant

Pretty damn good deal.
                I was expecting more.

Jeff KetchemJeff Ketchem
                Participant

Just bought a Snap-on thermal imager.

Greg LGreg L
                  Participant

[quote=”DFRanger” post=176812]Just bought a Snap-on thermal imager.[/quote]
                    Bought one of the last ones from my tool guy last week too. Pricey thing but lots of cool stuff you can see and check with it.

Jeff KetchemJeff Ketchem
                    Participant

Oh I like it. Got mine for a little more than the flir I was looking at. I think the data base built in is a little neat but unnecessary. I’ve used it a few times already. Very cool to see heat signatures, makes you wonder what all will be possible with this technology in our industry.

Greg LGreg L
                      Participant

[quote=”DFRanger” post=176830]Oh I like it. Got mine for a little more than the flir I was looking at. I think the data base built in is a little neat but unnecessary. I’ve used it a few times already. Very cool to see heat signatures, makes you wonder what all will be possible with this technology in our industry.[/quote]
                        Still in the playing stages with mine, looking at heater hoses on functioning heaters, condensers, tires, etc. Boss rolled his eyes initially at me buying it, but he quickly came around. The Flir would be better, but lacks a database for what we do, and would probably be best for someone who is already familiar with the imagers. From what I heard(maybe you heard otherwise) my snapon guy said they are already backordered by 3k units. He sold his first 6 in three days.

Jeff KetchemJeff Ketchem
                        Participant

Yeah, I was hot and heavy on the flir. My guy knew that too. He made me a good deal, seemed he had several. What I didn’t tell him was the 2 flir I had in the price range of the Snap-on were lacking by about 400° on their temperature scales. The sensors are the same resolution (those being the C2 and E4) but i believe the Snap-on beats even the E5 (resolution is higher though) on temperature scales if my memory serves. The E5 is about the same price wise to Snap-on retail so I think i got a good deal.

Greg LGreg L
                          Participant

Yeah, I saw the temp range difference between the Flir and Snapon. Now Flir does have one that goes up to 1100*F. Its made for firefighters, can’t remember the model, but it goes for about $1400. I bet money the next version that snapon releases has the MX technology in it.

JamesJames
                            Participant

Just picked up a serpentine tool as I had to have it for my 06 caravan.

Participant

I held off on getting a serpentine belt tool for a long time because I didn’t want to spend my money on one.

JamesJames
                                Participant

My frame sat to close to tensioner for ratchet and I was tired of buy return rent from AutoZone

Participant

Yeah, I know what you mean. I finally broke down and bought one while working on a taurus.
                                    I got tired of trying to fight a wrench on there when I could make my life a lot easier.

Viewing 15 replies - 391 through 405 (of 419 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…